The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Finally had our recert meeting this weekend. There was a question near the end (#98 or #99, I believe) regarding a batter swinging and missing, recocking, and then hitting the ball. I believe the answer in the key and the rule referenced by the key didn't match. It appeared that this should not be a legal hit, but we couldn't find the rule, and it generated a good deal of disagreement.

What is the right answer, and the rule reference to support that?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Read POE 24, Section C. That should clarify it for you.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. That at least confirms the correct answer. I am curious though --- normally the POE's and casebook are there to interpret or clarify existing rules. I can't for the life of me find a rule that specifically doesn't allow the batter to swing a 2nd time (or a rule that disallows a hit on the follow-through, which is also mentioned in that caseplay as being a dead ball). What rule is being used here?

[Edited by mcrowder on Feb 28th, 2005 at 02:41 PM]
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

7.4-3 is the case book play.

If you don't have a case book, it is well worth the 20 bucks to get it! (15.00 + 5.95 S/H)
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I have the caseplay, and I have the POE. And I now know the "right" answer.

What I'm looking for now is the rule from which the caseplay and POE are derived from.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Thanks. I have the caseplay, and I have the POE. And I now know the "right" answer.

What I'm looking for now is the rule from which the caseplay and POE are derived from.
7.4.C
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

7.4.C
It is clear from the case play rule reference that the first swing is a strike. The batter has therefore completed the legal actions by a batter for that pitch. The second swing, therefore, cannot be a batted ball.

7-6-K-3 deals with hitting the ball on the follow-through after a swing and a miss as an EXCEPTION to the hitting the ball a second time rule. This is a foul ball.

The rules do not specifically deal with a second swing and hit after a first swing and miss, but the ruling provided in the case play apparently applies the dead-ball logic from 7-6-K-3, even though it is not a foul ball (since it was already a swing and a miss).

IOW, the case play fills in the ruling for this situation.

An umpire taking the test without the case book could arrive logically at the ruling by following the reasoning above.

JMR (just my rationalization)
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

7.4.C
It is clear from the case play rule reference that the first swing is a strike. The batter has therefore completed the legal actions by a batter for that pitch. The second swing, therefore, cannot be a batted ball.

7-6-K-3 deals with hitting the ball on the follow-through after a swing and a miss as an EXCEPTION to the hitting the ball a second time rule. This is a foul ball.

The rules do not specifically deal with a second swing and hit after a first swing and miss, but the ruling provided in the case play apparently applies the dead-ball logic from 7-6-K-3, even though it is not a foul ball (since it was already a swing and a miss).

IOW, the case play fills in the ruling for this situation.

An umpire taking the test without the case book could arrive logically at the ruling by following the reasoning above.

JMR (just my rationalization)
Just read the effect of the rule. "The ball is in play and the runners may advance with liability to be put out" should tell you something.

Check out POE 24C.