The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
OK, all you other veterans stop rubbing your toes.
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, Again thanks for replies. This thread started as an ASA girls fastpitch question, and the answers from the "Old Timers" vary slightly as I presumed they would. The baseball was added as an extra, because this is where I have encountered coaches on the mound during half innings. I have not been allowing it mainly because we have 90 minutes to play 6 innings, this can slow things up. If the coach has not done his job in practice sessions, he aint gonna get it done between innings! I think application on these points will help me in both ASA, and Dixie. Yes there are differences, but there are generalities which I can apply to both. RE my training, this forum is great, as well as clinics, and on the job training. I have coached for years, and started thi season calling, it aint as easy as it looks! I am drawing from EVERY avenue available and take it from there. I too have seen some senior officials call in a way which I hope never to do. My aim is learn from all, get it right, be fair and consistant, and do better next game than the last. I judge my performance on my performance only, and never try mimic another. BTW 4-6-C, second sentence, is as clear as mud, can you translate?
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
BTW 4-6-C, second sentence, is as clear as mud, can you translate?
One of my all time favorite ASA-isms! If I put a sentence like that in my 8th grade essay, my English teacher would flunk me on the spot!

Pardon me while I have a little fun before answering your question...

The sentence reads The pitcher is not required to pitch until the first batter faced completes their turn at bat, or the side has been retired."

This means that the pitcher does not have to pitch until after the side has been retired! How the side gets retired is a mystery!

OK, seriously, what they meant to say was, "A substitute brought in to pitch may be replaced before the first batter completes their turn at bat and/or before the side has been retired."
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Tom, That one was confusing, and that clarifies my original question. I suppose a coach could sub a couple of times to the same batter as a delay?
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
BTW 4-6-C, second sentence, is as clear as mud, can you translate?
One of my all time favorite ASA-isms! If I put a sentence like that in my 8th grade essay, my English teacher would flunk me on the spot!

Pardon me while I have a little fun before answering your question...

The sentence reads The pitcher is not required to pitch until the first batter faced completes their turn at bat, or the side has been retired."

This means that the pitcher does not have to pitch until after the side has been retired! How the side gets retired is a mystery!

OK, seriously, what they meant to say was, "A substitute brought in to pitch may be replaced before the first batter completes their turn at bat and/or before the side has been retired."
Hell, that's just as bad as the original. I was just going to say that there is no restrictions as to when a pitcher may be removed from that position.

Old Sun May 25, 2003, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Thanks Tom, That one was confusing, and that clarifies my original question. I suppose a coach could sub a couple of times to the same batter as a delay?
Yes, and a coach did just that to run out the clock at an ASA Nationals a few years ago. Since it seems the tactic was obviously to delay the game, I don't know why a forfeit wasn't called (or at least the coach warned to cut it out).
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Hell, that's just as bad as the original. I was just going to say that there is no restrictions as to when a pitcher may be removed from that position.
Yours is much simpler... But while a bit wordy, mine at least makes sense. ASA's original is only understandable if you already know what it means!
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Yours is much simpler... But while a bit wordy, mine at least makes sense. ASA's original is only understandable if you already know what it means!
Actually, if you read it as a rule out of OBR, it might be more understandable. Remember, rules are written for coaches