The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I had an assistant coach on a local team that loves to question rule interpretations. I was the PU and after his team completed their turn at bat, he asked me why I didn't invoke the infield fly rule when the pitcher caught a high fly ball. I told him I did last inning. He said "No, this inning". I said "There was no infield fly rule situation". He said " Yes, on the first out of the inning". I aked him how many runners were on base. He said "One, the runner on first". I explained to him that the infield fly rule was only in effect with less than two outs, with runners on 1st and 2nd, or with the bases loaded. He took two steps and said "You wanna bet a coke on it?" I said "how about $100?" I hated that I didn't have my rule book handy. He never came back by after our conversation. Go figure.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
He took two steps and said "You wanna bet a coke on it?" I said "how about $100?" I hated that I didn't have my rule book handy. He never came back by after our conversation. Go figure.
Now that's a good reason to carry a rule book onto the field.

SamC
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Quote:
He took two steps and said "You wanna bet a coke on it?" I said "how about $100?" I hated that I didn't have my rule book handy. He never came back by after our conversation. Go figure.
Now that's a good reason to carry a rule book onto the field.

SamC
DON'T START!!!
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

In our gear bags, we always have a copy of the ASA, NF, and NCAA rulebooks. Further, we keep last years books in our cars.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with keller, I may be a first year umpire, but I played C -B softball for better than 20 years. Keep a copy of your rule book nearby. I remeber seeing an umpire one time that kept some type of bag clipped to the fence with extra balls AND a rule book. Still trying to find one of those bags
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

This is the same assistant coach that likes to start rebuttals by say "I have managed or coached youth sports for the last seven years and you're the first umpire to...". You can add the next phrase like "call an illegal pitch on this pitcher", "require a player to remove her jewelry", "call interference without contact", "call a girl out for slinging a bat", etc.

I guess I am the only umpire that follows the rules.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Quote:
This is the same assistant coach that likes to start rebuttals by say "I have managed or coached youth sports for the last seven years and you're the first umpire to...". You can add the next phrase like "call an illegal pitch on this pitcher", "require a player to remove her jewelry", "call interference without contact", "call a girl out for slinging a bat", etc.

I know exactly how you feel. I used to get the same response from coaches, too. I'll bet you'll keep your rule book in your bag from now on. Next time, have him bet you more than a Coke!!! LOL

:>0
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I don't believe in ever having a rule book in sight unless it's one of those special league rules. I would just hold the $100 until the coach finds his book.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to JennSoftball99
Exclamation

The infield fly rule requires only a runner on first... any time there would be a force out...
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Got my hunnert out....

Quote:
Originally posted by JennSoftball99
The infield fly rule requires only a runner on first... any time there would be a force out...
As a player of ten years, you should know this answer. Got my C-note on the table...care to try to take it away from me?
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to JennSoftball99
I am saying that by the rules of my Indiana softball league which plays NSA, the infield fly rule does apply to a runner on first with less than 2 outs.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Oh, really?

Please consult page 10 of the NSA rulebook for the definition of Infield Fly. This is section 27 under definitions. You will find the correct answer there. Infield Fly is not a rule that can be changed by the local league. And, according to your Indiana State NSA, it hasn't changed it.

[Edited by Striker991 on May 21st, 2003 at 05:21 PM]
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So far this year I am the first umpire to:

Check the bats, throw bats out of a game, ask for a line-up card, call illegal pitches (over 12', SP), ask a player to wear his hat correctly, throw the ball down after 3 warm-up pitches, throw out illegal warm-up bats, insist on .44/375 balls and hustle away from the plate.

I guess all I need to say in response is, "thank you!"
Old Thu May 22, 2003, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Wink

Oh well, I thought I was first (4/29 for .375, 5/4 for lineups, illegal pitches (over 12' and under 6'), 3 warm-up pitches, and hustle away from the plate).

Old Thu May 22, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Oh well, I thought I was first ...
We are always the first umpire on these kinds of calls!

Last season, I called a pitcher for a leap in a tournament. Naturally, I was the first umpire to ever call her on that. After the game, back at the umpire's tent, I asked about her. At least 3 other umpires had already called her on that in that tournament alone.

But, I was the first!