The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Multiple Choice Rules Questions

Our HS umpire group here in AZ has been tasked with providing input for an online rules quiz for coaches.

Questions are to be multiple choice and indicate the correct answer and NFHS Rules Reference for each question, and must be from the NFHS rule book.

I have some ideas on what areas to cover, but also wanted to solicit input on this board.

Any and all ideas/suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

PITCHING RULES!!!!!!!!

Obstruction, interference and look back rules are others that seem to get alot of questions.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I just did a coaches rules clinic for a local travel team.
Here is my agenda. Have it in Powerpoint deck. Willing to share.

Mysterious Rules
* Look Back Rule
* Obstruction
* Interference
* Base Line vs Base Path
* Illegal Pitch
* Infield Fly
* Fair or Foul
* Ball Hits Bat (INT)
* 3ft Running Lane

Mythical Rules
* Hands part of the bat
* Tie goes to Runner
* B-R must turn right when over-ruunning 1B
* Batter must break wrists for a swinging strike
* Batter is OUT for not going directly to 1B on U3K
* Bounced pitch is just a Ball
* Batter gets 1B anytime gets hit by pitch

Game Management
* Appeals
* Asking for help
* Protests
* BOO
* Check Swing

Lineup Management
* Starters/Subs
* Re-entry
* Courtesy Runner
* DP/Flex

Umpire Mechanics
* Primary/Secondary responsibilities
* Plate Umpire
* Base Umpire

Difficult Situations
* Batter stepping out of batter's box (slappers)
* Strike Zone
* Ball goes into DBT
* Most difficult of all - "If we don't see it, we can't call it"

These are things that coaches need to know, based on my 17 years of coaching before umpiring.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Very good list. What were the coaches opinion? Would like to have your presentation. Will send my e-mail to you.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Well, the coaches opinion was pretty good as evidenced that he paid me.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Andy, substitution, dp/flex and courtesy runner rules also.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Our HS umpire group here in AZ has been tasked with providing input for an online rules quiz for coaches.

Questions are to be multiple choice and indicate the correct answer and NFHS Rules Reference for each question, and must be from the NFHS rule book.

I have some ideas on what areas to cover, but also wanted to solicit input on this board.

For several years I wrote the Georgia test for umpires (we don't use the standard NFHS test here); now just part of the editing staff. In those years, while I picked from most of the areas mentioned, I always attempted to use for questions or case plays those issues that I knew were handled or interpreted incorrectly by umpires or coaches in real games. And included among the multiple choice answers the common misconceptions and common 'rec' attempts to make both sides happy along with the right answers.

As a UIC, I know you have had to handle game protests; use every one of those you can remember, along with the rules you have had to counsel your umpires about. I see no educational purpose (and isn't that WHY you test??)in asking trivia questions (how many stitches on a softball?), third world plays that just don't happen, or situations that aren't ever an issue.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

We have to pass our test to be able to umpire, do the coaches have to pass their quiz in order to coach?
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
We have to pass our test to be able to umpire, do the coaches have to pass their quiz in order to coach?
We could only WISH.....
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
And Tony - that looks great....you should sell/share it...

And Steve, I wish somebody as sensible as you would write the NYS test - its the same damn test every year - as predictable as a coach screaming about a rule they don't know. A lot of questions poorly written, just a mess overall. (Volleyball is even worse - all they care about is their damn protocol...NOTHING in it that helps officiate a game better!)
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you have access to whatever subjects which the umpires missed in the past, include something on those topics. When you have umpires selling BS and coaches buying it is when you get new myths born.

If you have the time and authority, I would pose the same quiz to the local umpires and see if they know as much as the coaches.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If you have the time and authority, I would pose the same quiz to the local umpires and see if they know as much as the coaches.
Amen to that!! There is nothing more frustrating than a coach that doesn't know the rules.....but nothing more scary than one that knows them better than the umpire
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:

Andy,
PM your email address. I'll send you the ten I wrote for the Florida exam last year.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Here is what I came up with....feedback and/or comments welcome...

Also, Thanks to argodad for the copy of the Florida questions...we may use some of those!

1. Team A is at bat with one out and no runners on base. Player A4 is scheduled to bat, but Player A6 steps into the batter’s box. With a count of 1 ball and 2 strikes, the defensive coach tells the umpire that the wrong batter is at bat. What happens?

a. Player A6 is declared out and Player A7 comes to bat
b. Player A4 resumes the at-bat with a count of 1 ball and 2 strikes
c. Player A6 and Player A4 are switched in the batting order for the remainder of the game
d. A warning is issued to the Team A head coach to make sure the batting order is followed correctly
Correct answer is b. Rule 7-1-1

2. Team B is at bat with a runner on second base and no outs. Batter hits a ground ball toward the shortstop (F6). In the act of fielding the ball, F6 is bumped slightly by the runner going from second to third. F6 fields the ball and throws to first before the batter-runner arrives. What is the outcome of this play?

a. Double Play. Runner is out for Interference with the shortstop and the batter-runner is out on the throw from the shortstop.
b. Incidental Contact. The bump did not affect the shortstop fielding the ball. Batter-Runner is out at first base and the runner on second advances to third.
c. Dead Ball. Runner is out for interference with the shortstop. Batter-Runner is placed on first base.
d. Obstruction. The shortstop must stay out of the runner’s way. Runner is placed on third and the batter-runner is placed on first.
Correct answer is c. Rule 8-6-10a and Penalty

3. In High School play, who can make a dead ball appeal on a runner missing a base?

a. Any infielder only
b. Any player only
c. Coach or any defensive player
d. Only the player closest to the missed base
Correct answer c. Rule 2-1-3b

4. Player A1 is at bat with a count of 2 balls and 1 strike. Inside pitch hits the batter on the hand while she is holding the bat and trying to avoid the ball. The batter did not swing at the pitch. The ball caroms into foul territory. What happens?

a. Dead ball. A1 is hit by the pitch and awarded first base
b. Foul Ball. The hands are part of the bat.
c. A ball is added to the count and the batter resumes the at-bat
Correct answer a. Rule 8-1-2b

5. Player B3 is at bat. No runners on base, 1 out. B3 gets a base hit into left field. B3 rounds first base toward second, stops, ball is returned to the pitcher in the circle. B3 runs to second base. What is the outcome of this play?

a. B3 is out. Once the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the runner must go back to the last base touched
b. Umpire calls time and places B3 back at first base
c. B3 is issued a warning. The next player to do this will be out
d. Legal Play. B3 proceeded directly to second base without stopping once the pitcher had the ball in the circle
Correct answer d. Rule 8-7-2

6. Batter B5 hits a fly ball into the outfield near the foul line. The left fielder (F7) runs under the ball to make the catch. F7, with both feet in fair ground, reaches into foul ground to attempt to catch the ball. The ball, over foul ground, hits F7’s glove and falls to the ground, landing in fair ground. This is a:

a. Fair ball. F7 had both feet in fair ground when the ball was first touched
b. Foul ball. The ball was first touched over foul ground
c. Fair Ball. The ball landed in fair territory when it hit the ground
d. Foul Ball. The batter comes back to bat, but since the ball landed in fair ground, any runners on base may attempt to advance.
Correct answer b. Rule 2-25-1c