The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Legal Safety Grip? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/85178-legal-safety-grip.html)

IRISHMAFIA Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:19pm

Legal Safety Grip?

Speaking ASA

Referring solely to the handle, is this bat legal with the safety grip applied as it is here?

Softball Bat

BretMan Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:31pm

I'll say no because the grip itself is only 8" long, not a minimum of 10".

IRISHMAFIA Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 808984)
I'll say no because the grip itself is only 8" long, not a minimum of 10".

Better check your rule changes.

BretMan Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:35pm

Or the calendar- it's still 2011! :D

NCASAUmp Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:56pm

I would say no, not legal.

In my interpretation of the safety grip rule, the 10"-15" (6"-15" in 2012) measurement starts from the safety knob, not simply where the tape happens to start.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 808986)
Or the calendar- it's still 2011! :D

Okay, you got me.:D For the purpose of this question, let's refer to the 2012 ASA rules.

okla21fan Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 808993)
I would say no, not legal.

In my interpretation of the safety grip rule, the 10"-15" (6"-15" in 2012) measurement starts from the safety knob, not simply where the tape happens to start.

agreed.

DeputyUICHousto Thu Dec 29, 2011 09:31am

I believe the rule also says...

no exposed metal on the handle of the bat.

BretMan Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto (Post 809057)
no exposed metal on the handle of the bat.

That's not what the rule actually says, is it? If that was the rule, then all safety grips would need to be the exact same length as the handle and extend from the knob to the taper. That doesn't seem to be the intent- why else would they say the grip can be anywhere from 6 to 15 inches long?

I read the rule to mean that none of the handle can be exposed in the area actually covered by the safety grip. Some of the handle can be exposed, just not within the part that the grip is covering.

This seems to be another case where they've tried to redefine and clarify the description of a legal bat, yet from an editorial standpoint still left some details open to interpretation.

If I'm forced to rule on this bat...three days from now ;) ...I'm going to say this is a legal grip. I've never seen any rule or interpretation that says the grip must begin exactly at the knob, or any other specific point on the handle, for that matter. To assume that it must begin there would be a personal interpretation not backed up by any rule. If that's what they meant, then that's what the rule should say.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:38am

2009 ASA Rules

Safety Grip shall not be more than 10.0 inches long and not extend more than 15.0 inches from the small/knob end of the bat. Well, this wording still allowed for the grip to start 5.0 inches from the knob and still meet the state requirement.

However, in the following rule defining the Safety Knob it states that the distance from the apex of the knob to the Safety Grip shall not exceed 0.3750 inches. This meant that the Safety Grip pretty much had to start at the knob of the bat to meet this standard.

Over the past two years, the wording has changed a couple times which eliminated this requirement.

Hence, I cannot find anything upon which to not permit the use of this bat without some form of clarification or interpretation from ASA.

DaveASA/FED Tue Jan 03, 2012 05:05pm

When I look at rule 3.1.C:
HANDLE: The region of the bat from the knob, not including the knob, to the
start of the taper where the diameter increases. The handle will include a
safety grip.

Then I look at Rule 3.1.D:
SAFETY GRIP: The Safety Grip can be made of cork, tape or other syn-
thetic material and must be permanently attached and cover the handle
region of the bat.(more about distance and attachements cut to save space)

Since the handle region of the bat starts at the knob (per 3.1.C) and the safety grip has to cover the handle region(per 3.1.D)(or at least 6-15" of it in 2012), then the safety grip has to start at the knob.

Of course this is all from the 2011 rule book since I don't have a 2012 yet, so I will check that wording when I get my new book. But it seems like 2011 tells me that the bat in question is illegal since the safety grip doesn't start at the knob.

HugoTafurst Tue Jan 03, 2012 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 809841)
(Snip)
Hence, I cannot find anything upon which to not permit the use of this bat without some form of clarification or interpretation from ASA.

That's a heck of a sentence!!!:D

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jan 03, 2012 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 810269)
When I look at rule 3.1.C:
HANDLE: The region of the bat from the knob, not including the knob, to the
start of the taper where the diameter increases. The handle will include a
safety grip.

Then I look at Rule 3.1.D:
SAFETY GRIP: The Safety Grip can be made of cork, tape or other syn-
thetic material and must be permanently attached and cover the handle
region of the bat.(more about distance and attachements cut to save space)

Since the handle region of the bat starts at the knob (per 3.1.C) and the safety grip has to cover the handle region(per 3.1.D)(or at least 6-15" of it in 2012), then the safety grip has to start at the knob.

Of course this is all from the 2011 rule book since I don't have a 2012 yet, so I will check that wording when I get my new book. But it seems like 2011 tells me that the bat in question is illegal since the safety grip doesn't start at the knob.

But could it not just as easily start at the taper? And if the handle area is to be covered, why is their a minimum and maximum? Why not just state the handle area must be covered?

I don't disagree that it should start at the knob. I'm just pointing out that the rule's wording has changed to the point there is no given starting point as there once was.

NCASAUmp Tue Jan 03, 2012 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 810276)
But could it not just as easily start at the taper? And if the handle area is to be covered, why is their a minimum and maximum? Why not just state the handle area must be covered?

I don't disagree that it should start at the knob. I'm just pointing out that the rule's wording has changed to the point there is no given starting point as there once was.

I agree that the wording would lead one to that conclusion. However, I believe that it was probably an oversight, combined with a case of "well, who in their right mind would ever do THAT?!"

The old rule was completely and totally gutted, re-written from the ground up. Increases the likelihood that this was nothing more than an oversight.

CelticNHBlue Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 810279)
"well, who in their right mind would ever do THAT?!"

I agree that the rule was probably written with the understanding that it would/should start at the knob, and it should be specific if that is what is desired, however, I could imagine where a petite player may purchase a larger bat but always choke up... just sayin'