The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wonderin....

I went over to do a tournament yesterday for xsa and was surprised to find out that the Tournament Director was also the head coach of one of the teams.
That in itself seems to be a conflict of interest since in this particular organization, the final decision on protests is determined by...... the Tournament Director.

1) is this common and I never noticed before?

Oh and surprise...... this Tournament director/coach was in the Championship game.....

(I mistakenly posted this on an unrelated thread, deleted it and started this one....)
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 01:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I went over to do a tournament yesterday for xsa and was surprised to find out that the Tournament Director was also the head coach of one of the teams.
That in itself seems to be a conflict of interest since in this particular organization, the final decision on protests is determined by...... the Tournament Director.

1) is this common and I never noticed before?

Oh and surprise...... this Tournament director/coach was in the Championship game.....

(I mistakenly posted this on an unrelated thread, deleted it and started this one....)

Obviously, you have never officiated AAU, YBOA, AYBTour basketball tournaments in some areas, LOL.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I remember the ONE time I worked a tournament where the host team did not enter the tournament - it was weird. What you describe is completely the norm. (Although in-game protests should not go to TD - they should go to UIC. TD should only handle player eligibility stuff).

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I remember the ONE time I worked a tournament where the host team did not enter the tournament - it was weird. What you describe is completely the norm. (Although in-game protests should not go to TD - they should go to UIC. TD should only handle player eligibility stuff).
FWIW, I understand host teams entering the tournament -
That doesn't mean that the Head Coach is the TD.

Additionally re:
Quote:
Although in-game protests should not go to TD - they should go to UIC.
FWIW: Unfortunately, in my experience (at local tournaments that I've noticed) it has been the TD who has had the final word. He has consulted with the UIC, but the final decision has been the TD's......

I say "tournaments that Ive noticed" because to be honest, I really haven't been in too many situations where there has been a protest.

Seemed wierd to me, but so is life...
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
FWIW: Unfortunately, in my experience (at local tournaments that I've noticed) it has been the TD who has had the final word. He has consulted with the UIC, but the final decision has been the TD's......
If it is a rules interpretation issue, that may happen once..............ONCE! There would not be an opportunity for a second time.