The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Wonderin.... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/82938-wonderin.html)

HugoTafurst Mon Nov 07, 2011 05:20pm

Wonderin....

I went over to do a tournament yesterday for xsa and was surprised to find out that the Tournament Director was also the head coach of one of the teams.
That in itself seems to be a conflict of interest since in this particular organization, the final decision on protests is determined by...... the Tournament Director.

1) is this common and I never noticed before?

Oh and surprise...... this Tournament director/coach was in the Championship game.....

(I mistakenly posted this on an unrelated thread, deleted it and started this one....)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Nov 08, 2011 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 797482)
I went over to do a tournament yesterday for xsa and was surprised to find out that the Tournament Director was also the head coach of one of the teams.
That in itself seems to be a conflict of interest since in this particular organization, the final decision on protests is determined by...... the Tournament Director.

1) is this common and I never noticed before?

Oh and surprise...... this Tournament director/coach was in the Championship game.....

(I mistakenly posted this on an unrelated thread, deleted it and started this one....)

Obviously, you have never officiated AAU, YBOA, AYBTour basketball tournaments in some areas, LOL.

MTD, Sr.

MD Longhorn Tue Nov 08, 2011 03:32pm

I remember the ONE time I worked a tournament where the host team did not enter the tournament - it was weird. What you describe is completely the norm. (Although in-game protests should not go to TD - they should go to UIC. TD should only handle player eligibility stuff).

HugoTafurst Wed Nov 09, 2011 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 797603)
I remember the ONE time I worked a tournament where the host team did not enter the tournament - it was weird. What you describe is completely the norm. (Although in-game protests should not go to TD - they should go to UIC. TD should only handle player eligibility stuff).

FWIW, I understand host teams entering the tournament -
That doesn't mean that the Head Coach is the TD.

Additionally re:
Quote:

Although in-game protests should not go to TD - they should go to UIC.
FWIW: Unfortunately, in my experience (at local tournaments that I've noticed) it has been the TD who has had the final word. He has consulted with the UIC, but the final decision has been the TD's......

I say "tournaments that Ive noticed" because to be honest, I really haven't been in too many situations where there has been a protest.

Seemed wierd to me, but so is life...

IRISHMAFIA Wed Nov 09, 2011 04:56pm

!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 797750)
FWIW: Unfortunately, in my experience (at local tournaments that I've noticed) it has been the TD who has had the final word. He has consulted with the UIC, but the final decision has been the TD's......

If it is a rules interpretation issue, that may happen once..............ONCE! There would not be an opportunity for a second time.