The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

inadvertent dead ball call

assume its a league game with no UIC, PU mistakenly calls a dead ball but realizes right afterwards that was the wrong call, how do you go about fixing this.

heres the story i heard, batter bunts the ball, drops the bat, ball rolls into the bat, umpire kills it but then realizes its a live ball. do you have the batter come back to bat and assume the prior pitch count or award her 1B?
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

This is always difficult and embarrassing. No one likes to admit they made a mistake but that's what this situation calls for in my opinion. I would go to each coach and tell them I made a mistake. Explain what the correct call should have been. That since I killed the play, we are going to bring the batter back and resume the count.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
assume its a league game with no UIC, PU mistakenly calls a dead ball but realizes right afterwards that was the wrong call, how do you go about fixing this.

heres the story i heard, batter bunts the ball, drops the bat, ball rolls into the bat, umpire kills it but then realizes its a live ball. do you have the batter come back to bat and assume the prior pitch count or award her 1B?
Without seeing it, award 1B and turn around and let the coach have his/her say.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig View Post
This is always difficult and embarrassing. No one likes to admit they made a mistake but that's what this situation calls for in my opinion. I would go to each coach and tell them I made a mistake. Explain what the correct call should have been. That since I killed the play, we are going to bring the batter back and resume the count.
Sorry, no. You can not ignore the fact that that the batter put the ball in play, it was a fair ball, and that her at-bat is now over. You did make a mistake, and you will hear serious sh!t; but the batter wasn't put out, and you killed the play, so you must award the batter first base (and advance all runners forced).

The only "Do-over" in softball is when the defense benefits from violating, by using an illegal glove or an illegal sub; then the offense get the option of the result, or to put the batter back up assuming the prior count. When the umpire screws up, you have to follow the rules.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Sorry, no. You can not ignore the fact that that the batter put the ball in play, it was a fair ball, and that her at-bat is now over. You did make a mistake, and you will hear serious sh!t; but the batter wasn't put out, and you killed the play, so you must award the batter first base (and advance all runners forced).

The only "Do-over" in softball is when the defense benefits from violating, by using an illegal glove or an illegal sub; then the offense get the option of the result, or to put the batter back up assuming the prior count. When the umpire screws up, you have to follow the rules.
what Whitey said.......
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

It's not the ONLY do-over. Say PU yells Dead (or foul) ball on a ball near the line that rolls back.

But yes - you can not do as Sig suggested. if you inadvertently kill a live, fair ball - place the runners, take a LOT more yelling from the offended coach than you might otherwise take, and move on.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
It's not the ONLY do-over. Say PU yells Dead (or foul) ball on a ball near the line that rolls back.
?? Please clarify. Or tell me to get my second coffee.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
?? Please clarify. Or tell me to get my second coffee.
Ball bunted down 3rd in foul territory...PU calls "Foul Ball" too soon as ball is still moving. Ball hits a rock and goes straight right into fair territory. Woops! Do over.........
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Ball bunted down 3rd in foul territory...PU calls "Foul Ball" too soon as ball is still moving. Ball hits a rock and goes straight right into fair territory. Woops! Do over.........
Dead ball was called while the ball was foul. What happens after that doesn't matter. Not a do-over: foul ball, strike on the batter, play on (after taking what you got coming). In the OP, dead ball was called in error. Not the same thing.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Dead ball was called while the ball was foul. What happens after that doesn't matter. Not a do-over: foul ball, strike on the batter, play on (after taking what you got coming). In the OP, dead ball was called in error. Not the same thing.
Details, details. (In my head there were 2 strikes, so effectively that was a "do-over"... but I see I've actually detracted from the point. Sorry!

West Houston Mike