The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

You Make the Call

2 plays from this fall season have stuck with me and I would appreciate comments (and rules references):

1) ASA Men's SP w/stealing:
Fly ball to left center, bounce off of the top of the OF fence (fair) and back into field and caught by fielder. Call?

2) ASA Co-Ed:
Batter barely hits the ball and it goes approx 1' in front of HP....she drops her bat in front of the plate (IMO normal bat drop; not intended block ball) and ball rolls into discarded bat. Call?

Again, I would appreciate rules references if you would along with comments/opinions.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
2 plays from this fall season have stuck with me and I would appreciate comments (and rules references):

Fly ball to left center, bounce off of the top of the OF fence (fair) and back into field and caught by fielder. Call?
There is no call, the ball is in play

Quote:
2) ASA Co-Ed:
Batter barely hits the ball and it goes approx 1' in front of HP....she drops her bat in front of the plate (IMO normal bat drop; not intended block ball) and ball rolls into discarded bat. Call?

Again, I would appreciate rules references if you would along with comments/opinions.
If the ball rolled to the bat, nothing.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yea....what he said.

In #1, the OF wall is an extension of the ground. When it hits the fence, the ball cannot be "caught", simply fielded. Live ball - play on.

In #2 the quick and dirty is asking did the ball hit the bat or bat hit ball. Bat hits ball - possible out; ball hits bat - you the same as situation #1 - Live ball!
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post

2) ASA Co-Ed:

The answer to both is nothing. No call.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.