The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

I have been reading in the Official Rules of Softball '03. I am looking to find out about the total number of times a pitcher can pass her hip before releasing the ball. There is a girl in our league who has a good chance for post season play but I am afraid that she is pitching illegally and will be called on it later on if it is not corrected now.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Charli,
What rules are you looking at?

Steve M
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Charli,

The short answer is a maximum of 3 times; once going backards and twice going forward if she is a windmill style pitcher. (in all rules, I think)

SamC
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

The ASA Softball rules
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Charli. We see questions on a number of different sanctioning bodies and it is important that we know which set of rules we're dealing with.

Sam is right about the three times past the hip. For ASA, that will be covered by Rule 6, Section 3 - the legal delivery. ASA does not make mention of the number of times past the hip. They do so that the pitcher may not make two complete revolutions.

I am going to assume that you're dealing with an age group that is younger than the 14&U group. Since you have an ASA rule book, check the Point of Emphasis section that immediately follows the rules - my book is in the van or I would tell you what page. In this section there are six features of the pitching rule for fastpitch and I think that you will see the pitching rule simplified a bit.

Steve M
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
There is no rule about passing the hip. The rule is based on full revolutions in the forward motion, with 2 or more being illegal.
The arm can come past the hip a second time before the release as long as it does not pass the starting point of the forward motion a second time.