The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Long cold winter, not much of a spring so far, but opening day is here! Shoes are shined, bag's packed, clothes laid out. I am ready to go!

Due to weather I didn't get any scrimmages in so I am steping into the lion's den very cold. Varsity game between two top teams, one of which is last year's State Champs. Those first few pitches are going to be hell.

Of course, fields around her are not in very good shape and rain is in the morning forecast so I may well be getting a call before 3:00.

Alright you Southern guys and gals, don't jump in her and tell me you've already got in 50 zillion games. I don't want to hear it. (VBG)

WMB
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

WMB,
I hear ya. In Pa, we must be about a week or so ahead of you in Mich - I had my first games Sunday. I did make time to do several indoor scrimmages. The legs seem to be in pretty good shape after 4 games in 4 days and I even lost a couple of games due to weather. I was originally scheduled for 10 games this week. Here's hoping today's games get played - I've got a top-5 team against a top-20 team.

Steve M
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Northern Illnois isn't to much better. The grass isn't green and dirt is still a bit damp yet but let the games begin!!! I've been lucky to get in two baseball and two softball games. Nothing like it after a long winter and doing basketball for 4-1/2 months. Avoid the stuffy gyms and back outside. I realize then how much I love this game. A little bit of me dies when the season ends and it grows back in the spring.

The forecast looks lousy after today. Supposed to rain and possibly snow for the next three days. Probably won't get back on the field until the middle of next week. But I've really enjoyed the past couple of days.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Winter storm watch for tonight and tomorrow.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Already got in a few games here in Idaho. Scheduled for a FP game tomorrow with a weather prediciton of mid 40's, high winds, clouds, and possible rain.

Gotta love it to do Spring ball!

Here's to bright/warm/dry/calm days... with good teams.

Dress warm. At least I know I'm not alone - cold, wet umpires are on the fields across America.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Hi, guys,

go to http://www.warmerweather.com{you
will get a "This page cannot be displayed however".}

""TEXAS""

it is even dry for the past week.

Will not say how many games have already done.
However, here is wishing all of you get to get going
soon.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

A weather update: it's snowing.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichiganBlue
Long cold winter, not much of a spring so far, but opening day is here! Shoes are shined, bag's packed, clothes laid out. I am ready to go!

Due to weather I didn't get any scrimmages in so I am steping into the lion's den very cold. Varsity game between two top teams, one of which is last year's State Champs. Those first few pitches are going to be hell.

Of course, fields around her are not in very good shape and rain is in the morning forecast so I may well be getting a call before 3:00.

Alright you Southern guys and gals, don't jump in her and tell me you've already got in 50 zillion games. I don't want to hear it. (VBG)

WMB
Hey WMB,
What teams did ya have? Just curious which 2002 final team it was. Also, how did it go? Up north here, we start next week, but supposed to get a little snow in the next couple of days. Yikes!
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

I've got two college games in a dome this weekend. They have played a bunch of games down south and I have been moving snow and reading the rulebook. I am excited to get going and I hope nothing really wierd happens right away. In the next 6 weeks it gets crazy. My family won't see me much.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

For QMQ

Hey WMB,
What teams did ya have? Just curious which 2002 final team it was. Also, how did it go? Up north here, we start next week, but supposed to get a little snow in the next couple of days. Yikes!

Last year's Div II runner up Byron Center vs Unity Christian. 60 deg at game time, field was dry and dressed out well, bit of sunshine - a nice day to be out. UC won 4-2 in a well played, but typical opening day contest.

In the past I have been behind the mask perhaps 85-90 percent of the time. I need to work on my base mechanics this year, so I was BU. My calls were good, but mechanics were rough. Hesitant, a step slow, on multiple play actions I was unsure if I was supposed to be inside or outside! (Of course I am my own worst critic; I doubt if anyone there noticed.) A rookie that I have been training showed up to watch; all I could say was "do as I say, not as I do!"

Worst situation came with runner at 1B; I'm in "B", and batter hit a blooper over F4. I didn't think it could be caught; I headed inside, giving the call to my partner. Just then the first base coach yelled "get back, get back!" I hesitated, turned to see F9 diving at the ball, which bounced past her. I turned to continue inside and tangled with R1. She righted herself and make it to 3B.

I called time and picked up the helmet I had knocked off her and took it over. She was laughing and said "I wouldn't made it home anyway." True enough, but I wondered what whould have happened if she had been thrown out at 3B. Tough luck, I suppose because the only interference call against an umpire is for interferring with a catcher's throw. But I sure wouldn't have wanted to face the coach!

Anybody had this happen to them? Am I correct that you live with it? Just like getting hit by a batted ball in front of a fielder?

WMB
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: For QMQ

Quote:

Worst situation came with runner at 1B; I'm in "B", and batter hit a blooper over F4. I didn't think it could be caught; I headed inside, giving the call to my partner. Just then the first base coach yelled "get back, get back!" I hesitated, turned to see F9 diving at the ball, which bounced past her. I turned to continue inside and tangled with R1. She righted herself and make it to 3B.

I called time and picked up the helmet I had knocked off her and took it over. She was laughing and said "I wouldn't made it home anyway." True enough, but I wondered what whould have happened if she had been thrown out at 3B. Tough luck, I suppose because the only interference call against an umpire is for interferring with a catcher's throw. But I sure wouldn't have wanted to face the coach!

Anybody had this happen to them? Am I correct that you live with it? Just like getting hit by a batted ball in front of a fielder?

WMB
I had a similar situation last year. I was in B position with a runner on first. Fly ball hit in my direction. I thought it was hit farther than it was and started to come inside. F3 was running to her right to catch the fly ball and we collided. All I could do was apologize to the coach and player and go on. Like they say, "The umpire is dirt". Fortuneatley for me, the defensive team had a large lead and I did not catch too much heat.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I know how all of you in the northern latitudes feel !!!
I used to love and umpire in central NY, where we were
lucky to get a game in April and play wall to wall double-
headers for 3-4 weeks in May !!!
Can't beat the season here in SW FL-- been playing since Feb !!
----------
gotta get this in:
Go SU Orange !!!!!!!
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

For WMB

Quote:
Hey WMB,

Last year's Div II runner up Byron Center vs Unity Christian. 60 deg at game time, field was dry and dressed out well, bit of sunshine - a nice day to be out. UC won 4-2 in a well played, but typical opening day contest.

In the past I have been behind the mask perhaps 85-90 percent of the time. I need to work on my base mechanics this year, so I was BU. My calls were good, but mechanics were rough. Hesitant, a step slow, on multiple play actions I was unsure if I was supposed to be inside or outside! (Of course I am my own worst critic; I doubt if anyone there noticed.) A rookie that I have been training showed up to watch; all I could say was "do as I say, not as I do!"

WMB
Why at the plate so much? Just curious.
Also, you have to eat it if she was thrown out. It really makes everyone REALLY happy if that happens.
Oh no.. it's snowing outside
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Glen:

I can relate. The season is almost over, playoffs just a matter of weeks away.

Scott