Thread: FINALLY!
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: For QMQ

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichiganBlue

Worst situation came with runner at 1B; I'm in "B", and batter hit a blooper over F4. I didn't think it could be caught; I headed inside, giving the call to my partner. Just then the first base coach yelled "get back, get back!" I hesitated, turned to see F9 diving at the ball, which bounced past her. I turned to continue inside and tangled with R1. She righted herself and make it to 3B.

I called time and picked up the helmet I had knocked off her and took it over. She was laughing and said "I wouldn't made it home anyway." True enough, but I wondered what whould have happened if she had been thrown out at 3B. Tough luck, I suppose because the only interference call against an umpire is for interferring with a catcher's throw. But I sure wouldn't have wanted to face the coach!

Anybody had this happen to them? Am I correct that you live with it? Just like getting hit by a batted ball in front of a fielder?

WMB
I had a similar situation last year. I was in B position with a runner on first. Fly ball hit in my direction. I thought it was hit farther than it was and started to come inside. F3 was running to her right to catch the fly ball and we collided. All I could do was apologize to the coach and player and go on. Like they say, "The umpire is dirt". Fortuneatley for me, the defensive team had a large lead and I did not catch too much heat.