Thread: FINALLY!
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

For WMB

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichiganBlue
Hey WMB,
What teams did ya have? Just curious which 2002 final team it was. Also, how did it go? Up north here, we start next week, but supposed to get a little snow in the next couple of days. Yikes!

Last year's Div II runner up Byron Center vs Unity Christian. 60 deg at game time, field was dry and dressed out well, bit of sunshine - a nice day to be out. UC won 4-2 in a well played, but typical opening day contest.

In the past I have been behind the mask perhaps 85-90 percent of the time. I need to work on my base mechanics this year, so I was BU. My calls were good, but mechanics were rough. Hesitant, a step slow, on multiple play actions I was unsure if I was supposed to be inside or outside! (Of course I am my own worst critic; I doubt if anyone there noticed.) A rookie that I have been training showed up to watch; all I could say was "do as I say, not as I do!"

Worst situation came with runner at 1B; I'm in "B", and batter hit a blooper over F4. I didn't think it could be caught; I headed inside, giving the call to my partner. Just then the first base coach yelled "get back, get back!" I hesitated, turned to see F9 diving at the ball, which bounced past her. I turned to continue inside and tangled with R1. She righted herself and make it to 3B.

I called time and picked up the helmet I had knocked off her and took it over. She was laughing and said "I wouldn't made it home anyway." True enough, but I wondered what whould have happened if she had been thrown out at 3B. Tough luck, I suppose because the only interference call against an umpire is for interferring with a catcher's throw. But I sure wouldn't have wanted to face the coach!

Anybody had this happen to them? Am I correct that you live with it? Just like getting hit by a batted ball in front of a fielder?

WMB
Why at the plate so much? Just curious.
Also, you have to eat it if she was thrown out. It really makes everyone REALLY happy if that happens.
Oh no.. it's snowing outside