The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 13, 2011, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Bunt attempt

In softball, if a batter holds the bat over the plate and does not move it when the pitch comes in, this is judged as an attempt and therefore called a strike.

I believe it was on this board where someone explained why this makes sense for softball and why it can be considered an attempt even if the pitch comes in out of the strike zone.

Could someone reiterate that for me?

Rita
Old Tue Sep 13, 2011, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on what rule set you are playing under. In FED and I believe NCAA you are correct, but in ASA the batter is not required to remove the bat if the ball is out of the strike zone.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2011, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
In softball, if a batter holds the bat over the plate and does not move it when the pitch comes in, this is judged as an attempt and therefore called a strike.

I believe it was on this board where someone explained why this makes sense for softball and why it can be considered an attempt even if the pitch comes in out of the strike zone.

Rita
Mark me down for one who thinks this is a ridiculous rule and that which reflects laziness among the softball world.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2011, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Mark me down for one who thinks this is a ridiculous rule and that which reflects laziness among the softball world.
We are in agreement there. But I did think I heard some valid reasoning once from the softball world for it.

Rita
Old Tue Sep 13, 2011, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

What was the reasoning? That softball umpires are too dumb to judge if the batter attempted to contact the ball or not?

The "old" rule (which is the same as for baseball) served us well for many decades. It was first changed in NCAA softball a few years ago. NFHS followed suit a year or two later. Then the dominos started falling...NSA and USSSA also changed their rule to match the NCAA rule.

I'm not sure about the dozen other sanctioning bodies- I have enough trouble keeping the ones I actually work straight!

Last edited by BretMan; Tue Sep 13, 2011 at 10:44pm.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2011, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
What was the reasoning? That softball umpires are too dumb to judge if the batter attempted to contact the ball or not?

The "old" rule (which is the same as for baseball) served us well for many decades. It was first changed in NCAA softball a few years ago. NFHS followed suit a year or two later. Then the dominos started falling...NSA and USSSA also changed their rule to match the NCAA rule.

I'm not sure about the dozen other sanctioning bodies- I have enough trouble keeping the ones I actually work straight!
I think it was simply a follow the leader issue for NFHS and others. I have little doubt this was a coach-influenced change. Don't understand why, but who else would support such a move?
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it was simply a follow the leader issue for NFHS and others. I have little doubt this was a coach-influenced change. Don't understand why, but who else would support such a move?
i dont understand many of the strategies/beliefs of JO coaches, so maybe they really did want it.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

I stopped reading at "In softball..." The assumption (more widespread than anyone would like to admit) by so many that there is just one softball ruleset kind of irks me.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

Rita
Rita,

IMO -the rule is in place for NCAA and trickled down to other rule sets is that coaches felt the batter could be attempting to bunt a ball without actually moving it toward the ball. The batter would just hold the bat without moving it and if the ball hit the bat, they have successfully bunted the ball, which is what they wanted to do anyway. If the ball missed the bat, it would be called a ball if it was out of the strike zone.

Just a guess.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Whether this is right or wrong, I'm not sure... but the way it was explained to me was that the NCAA (probably meaning coaches) felt that if the batter had the bat out there and didn't pull it back, they had it there for a reason. If that reason was not to hit the ball, then the only other conceivable reason was to interfere with the catcher's vision on a possible steal. To not even give the batter a strike for this seemed incongruous.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Whether this is right or wrong, I'm not sure... but the way it was explained to me was that the NCAA (probably meaning coaches) felt that if the batter had the bat out there and didn't pull it back, they had it there for a reason. If that reason was not to hit the ball, then the only other conceivable reason was to interfere with the catcher's vision on a possible steal. To not even give the batter a strike for this seemed incongruous.
Or maybe the batter was too stunned that a pitch was so far over her head or close to the ODB she didn't think to withdraw the bat

They want to presume the batter had intention by not withdrawing the bat, but there is absolutely no intention of gaining an advantage by the pitcher who loses contact with the ground when delivering the pitch.

What is wrong with how the game was meant to be played, you either try to hit the ball or you don't and that is what determines a strike? And don't waste a second of time telling me an umpire cannot tell the difference which, IMO, is exactly what is being insinuated by the rule.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
And don't waste a second of time telling me an umpire cannot tell the difference which, IMO, is exactly what is being insinuated by the rule.
Seriously Mike - how many coaches already believe that we don't have a clue as to what we are calling?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I don't like the rule myself, but the only logic I can apply that makes any sense is that a successful bunt does not require an "offer". Simply holding the bat still can result in a successful bunt. However, this does require the pitch to be in the vicinity of the bat. This is the reason I don't like the rule. If the bat is held belt high and the pitch is in the dirt, etc. does not equate to a strike in my book.

Another potential reasoning is similar to a check swing. We will call SWING if the bat enters the "hitting zone", even if the pitch is a mile a way.

Maybe I am talking myself into liking this rule.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Seriously Mike - how many coaches already believe that we don't have a clue as to what we are calling?
Probably the same amount of umpires think the coaches don't know what they are doing.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
I don't like the rule myself, but the only logic I can apply that makes any sense is that a successful bunt does not require an "offer". Simply holding the bat still can result in a successful bunt. However, this does require the pitch to be in the vicinity of the bat. This is the reason I don't like the rule. If the bat is held belt high and the pitch is in the dirt, etc. does not equate to a strike in my book.

Another potential reasoning is similar to a check swing. We will call SWING if the bat enters the "hitting zone", even if the pitch is a mile a way.
No I don't. I've had players who don't want to walk just swing the bat when the ball isn't in the area. The definition requires a strike be called if the batter swings and missed a pitch. If there is no pitch to hit, how can it be a strike?

Hmmmmmm.....

Then again there is also the point that a pitch which hits a bat behind the batters head (still on the shoulder) makes a very good bunt, but it is not a strike if the pitched ball passes near the bat. Why, because the batter wasn't trying to strike the ball which, IMO, is the basis of any pitched ball being called a strike.

There is no logical reason to eliminate that requirement.