The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

D3k... Again!

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in previous threads, but most of those discuss ASA. NFHS rules only, please:

First batter of the game. Uncaught third strike. BR turns around and takes five steps towards her team's third base dugout. All defensive and offensive players and coaches are oblivious to the situation. At this point, should she be declared out for abandonment, or should the home plate umpire wait until she enters the dugout?
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

FED case play 8-1-1

F2 drops strike 3 with 2 outs . B3 starts toward the dugout but F2 does not throw to 1st. B3 then makes a quick dash to first. Ruling: If F2 does not throw to first, there is a chance B3 could reach first safely. However, B3 should be declared out if (1) she entered dead ball territory; (2) she did not reach the base by the time of the next pitch; or (3) the half inning ended because all infielders left the diamond.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Also ... please avoid the use of the term abandonment. It has a very specific meaning when applied to causing an out - and 95% of the umpires who want to rule someone "out for abandonment" have no idea when it applies - in addition, you can likely go your entire umpiring career and not have "Abandonment" ever actually happen.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Also ... please avoid the use of the term abandonment. It has a very specific meaning when applied to causing an out - and 95% of the umpires who want to rule someone "out for abandonment" have no idea when it applies - in addition, you can likely go your entire umpiring career and not have "Abandonment" ever actually happen.
Good job teasing the masses - care to expound?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

From NCAA softball rules.

12.8.5 If the ball is live and a runner, after reaching base safely, abandons
her base (for example, obviously heads toward her position or the dugout,
believing she was put out or that another batter/runner was put out to end
the inning).
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
But, in HS, s/he must leave live-ball territory to be out.

Also, unlike a coach at a National said, the batter can not be out for leaving live-ball territory, while still at bat. Abandonment only applies to BR & R.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
But, in HS, s/he must leave live-ball territory to be out.

Also, unlike a coach at a National said, the batter can not be out for leaving live-ball territory, while still at bat. Abandonment only applies to BR & R.
Partially true (not referring to coach, totally true).

In 8-2-4, Batter-Runner is out when "she fails to advance to first base AND enters the team area". So, correct in the OP situation.

But, in 8-6-22, The Runner is out when "she abandons a base, enters a team area OR leaves the field of play".

Case Play 8-6-22 Situation B: "B2 hits a grounder to F6 whose throw to F3 is not in time to retire B2. However, B2, who has not been declared out, leaves the baseline (My note: like THAT has anything to do with it) and heads for the dugout. RULING: B2 may be declared out if the umpire judges the act of B2 to be considered abandoning her effort to run the bases."

So, before reaching first, the BR has not abandoned an attempt until/unless she leaves live ball territory, but after reaching first, any effort judged to be abandonment by the umpire can be an out. Does anyone think there is any rationale or reasonable consistency here??
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
FED case play 8-1-1

F2 drops strike 3 with 2 outs . B3 starts toward the dugout but F2 does not throw to 1st. B3 then makes a quick dash to first. Ruling: If F2 does not throw to first, there is a chance B3 could reach first safely. However, B3 should be declared out if (1) she entered dead ball territory; (2) she did not reach the base by the time of the next pitch; or (3) the half inning ended because all infielders left the diamond.
And, while I am ragging on NFHS Case Book plays, here's another idiotic (IMO) ruling. B3 is out in (1); because the rule says if she enters dead ball territory she is out.

But in (2) IF SHE ISN'T PUT OUT, ON A BASE, OR OFF THE FIELD, HOW THE HELL CAN THERE BE A NEXT PITCH??

And in (3), the solution is for the defense to leave the field without effecting the third out, so THAT makes her out and ends the inning??

JMO, but these are embarrassing.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Fri Aug 19, 2011 at 09:44am.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Partially true (not referring to coach, totally true).

but after reaching first, any effort judged to be abandonment by the umpire can be an out. Does anyone think there is any rationale or reasonable consistency here??
Doesn't this "The Runner is out when "she abandons a base, enters a team area OR leaves the field of play"." mean having to do both, even without the word "and", because of the conjunctive punctuation?
IOW, the R can not "enters a team area OR leaves the field of play" without leaving (abandons) the base.

We all know the national education body is weak on writing/editing.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Reported.

This is ridiculous, guys.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
From NCAA softball rules.

12.8.5 If the ball is live and a runner, after reaching base safely, abandons
her base (for example, obviously heads toward her position or the dugout,
believing she was put out or that another batter/runner was put out to end
the inning).
Great way to confuse the issue.

Guess I have to add: If you're working NFHS ball, don't refer to the NCAA softball rules.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Doesn't this "The Runner is out when "she abandons a base, enters a team area OR leaves the field of play"." mean having to do both, even without the word "and", because of the conjunctive punctuation?
IOW, the R can not "enters a team area OR leaves the field of play" without leaving (abandons) the base.

We all know the national education body is weak on writing/editing.
Wish I could agree, but the case play doesn't have the runner doing either of the "enters a team area OR leaves the field of play", but says can be declared out.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Good job teasing the masses - care to expound?
Sure - so many umpires saw the word abandonment in their rulebook in passing ... and have applied their own definition to it. Simply wandering off your base or some direction one might not normally expect is NOT abandonment in NFHS. We've all seen or heard about an umpire who ruled a runner out for abandonment when she did something odd thinking she was out or the inning was over - but not actually breaking any rule.

You have to actually LEAVE the field of play (or, I suppose, go play defense) to have abandoned a base.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And, while I am ragging on NFHS Case Book plays, here's another idiotic (IMO) ruling. B3 is out in (1); because the rule says if she enters dead ball territory she is out.

But in (2) IF SHE ISN'T PUT OUT, ON A BASE, OR OFF THE FIELD, HOW THE HELL CAN THERE BE A NEXT PITCH??

And in (3), the solution is for the defense to leave the field without effecting the third out, so THAT makes her out and ends the inning??

JMO, but these are embarrassing.
I believe it's been discussed that number 3's purpose is to cover that instance where a runner abandons their base and heads straight to their position, someone throws them a glove, and the defense leaves the field - without the 3rd part, umpires would still be standing around waiting for the previous inning to end (until, I suppose, a member of the offense ran onto the pitcher's circle and picked up the ball, killing the otherwise live play!)

I agree that 2 is just stupid. Wondering if this covers some bizarre instance of the runner thinking they are out, not going anywhere... perhaps to a coach's box or something - possible in slow pitch adult ball I suppose.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wish I could agree, but the case play doesn't have the runner doing either of the "enters a team area OR leaves the field of play", but says can be declared out.
We should also love that it says, "can be called out" - not should be or IS. But can be... sounds like it's vaguely optional for the umpire, yes? rolleyes:

West Houston Mike