The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

The previous question by "refjef40" created some questions that I am not sure of the answers.

#1 - During live ball a runner should be able to return to touch a missed base, but what if that violates the LB rule?

R1 on 1B, B1 hits single, R1 goes to 3B, but misses 2B on they way. Ball is returned to F1 in the circle. Teammates are yelling to R1 that she missed the base. R1 suddenly bolts for 2B. Is she out for leaving the base while F1 has the ball?

#2 - Now a different twist. F4 hears the "you missed the base" chatter and calls for the ball, which F1 throws into center field. R1 goes home. The ball is returned to F4 who now tags 2B and appeals. Can you have a second appeal after you botched it the first time? Does it matter that the runner has already touched home and is heading to the bench? OR, does R1 have to go back and tag second regardless of what the defense does?

#3 - OK, now let's really screw it up. Suppose F5 calls for the ball, intending to tag R1. But F1 throws the ball past 3B into dead ball land as R1 is heading back to 2B. By NFHS rule a runner that has reached a base beyond the base she missed can not return during dead ball. Does it matter if she was returning when the ball went dead? Or is the rule inviolate; she can not return because she had already landed at 3B?

WMB
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Ok,
I'll try this one:

#1-- If the pitcher has the ball in the circle, and the runner is on third, and the pitcher makes no play on her and if she leaves the bag to retouch second she is out on the lookback rule. If the pitcher makes an attempt to throw the ball to second, therefore making a play on the runner on third, she can leave the base and head back to second. If the ball gets there first, the runner is out for missing the base.

#2-- If the pitcher throws the ball into the outfield, and the runner returns to second then scores, that would be ok, run scores, dumb pitcher for throwing the ball away. Now if she throws the ball into the outfield, and the runner just goes home, and the ball comes back in to second, it is just a continuation of the appeal, and not another new appeal. Runner would be out.

#3-- If the runner is on third, and the ball heads to DBT, as long as the runner is on her way back to second, I think I would allow this, because she has vacated the base past the one she missed and is returning before the ball is dead. When it gets to DBT, I call time, and give her third, hoping she goes back and touches second..

May not be right, but That is what I have I think.

Bob

[Edited by Del-Blue on Feb 24th, 2003 at 12:17 PM]
NIF
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
Ok,
I'll try this one:

#3-- If the runner is on third, and the ball heads to DBT, as long as the runner is on her way back to second, I think I would allow this, because she has vacated the base past the one she missed and is returning before the ball is dead. When it gets to DBT, I call time, and give her third, hoping she goes back and touches third.

May not be right, but That is what I have I think.

Bob
Wouldn't you award her home, since she was beyond 2nd when the ball went to DBT. As long as she had retreated to any point short of 3rd base before the ball went to DBT, she could retouch 2nd. Her position for the award would be goverened by the rule (I don't have a book handy for the cite) that states a runner who has passed a base is considered to have touched it.

Umpire: [pointing to runner one step from 3rd] "You are awarded home." Runner must then return to 2nd, touch 2nd, proceed to 3rd and touch 3rd before going home to be safe from appeal. If runner steps back to 3rd, and then returns to 2nd, or failes to return to 2nd, then she would be out on proper apeal.

Roger Greene
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Roger,

You are correct. She would get two bases from the throw, and even if she was on second, she would get home. I'm sure I meant to say that.

Bob
NIF
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,
Youre right on 1 & 2, but Roger's correction is right for 3. Knowing you run around with Mike, I'm sure you'd have gotten it right on the field.

Steve M