The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

the officials choice shirts

I heard alot of bad things about these shirts, but at $10 each, I decided to take a chance and get some.

I think these shirts get the bad rap because it's not for every body type, since the fabric is thin and doesn't hide the bulges well. but I'm kinda standard body type, and I'm pleased with the fit for the bases. I would not wear them for the plate, since it makes me look like a linebacker.

I got 3 free ball bags to boot, but the navy color looks too light, almost royalish like the color of the ASA shorts.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
I heard alot of bad things about these shirts, but at $10 each, I decided to take a chance and get some.

I think these shirts get the bad rap because it's not for every body type, since the fabric is thin and doesn't hide the bulges well. but I'm kinda standard body type, and I'm pleased with the fit for the bases. I would not wear them for the plate, since it makes me look like a linebacker.

I got 3 free ball bags to boot, but the navy color looks too light, almost royalish like the color of the ASA shorts.
I have no complaints, other than they will "pick" worse than others. but if you are careful they will easily last a couple of seasons. They keep their color well, and are very lightweight. With an undershirt, they fit as well as any others I use.

Are they $10.00 apiece now?

They did have a sale in late 2010 and I bought $600.00 worth! We use them to help out the new umpires we get. The cost of the shirt is deffered until they draw pay.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

The one I bought about three years ago (powder blue) has such a huge mesh to the fabric that you can plainly read any logos or printing on your chest protector or undershirt. I recently read on another umpire forum that they have changed their material and the holes in the mesh aren't as large.

The tradeoff is that this shirt seems much cooler than other brands- which is just fine by me on a hot day. You just need to be mindful of what you're wearing underneath it because it will be visible to all.

After three seasons, I still wear this shirt on a regular basis in league ball. It has no picks, pulls or snags (and I wear a Wilson Platinum CP which is kind of notorious for snagging shirts, what with the metal clasps that fasten in the front). There really aren't any issues with the appearance after all that use.

Two problems I have had: One, the stitching around the button holes at the neck did unravel a bit and come loose. Maybe this is because the fabric is so thin. I just clipped off the loose ends and it hasn't unraveled any more since.

Two, after only one season, the front buttons turned that hideous "faded blue, pink-ish, purple-ish" color. I sewed on new buttons and they still look good (I've had to do this with ASA shirts, too).

As for the fit...I'm surprised that anyone would find these too tight (unless they've changed their pattern as well as the material). Back when I bought mine, they advertised that their shirts were extra-roomy. That proved to be true with mine. It is by far the roomiest and loosest fitting of any of the XL size shirts that I own. When I wear it with on the plate, it doesn't even look like I'm wearing a chest protector. Maybe they don't make them like that anymore?

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Jul 14, 2011 at 04:54pm.