Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Umpires for WCOS & BBIII

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 20, 2011

Umpires announced for World Cup of Softball VI, Border Battle III

OKLAHOMA CITY — Thirteen umpires from six countries will partake in the World Cup of Softball VI and Border Battle III in Oklahoma City, the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) of America announced today. The World Cup of Softball, a women’s fast pitch event that includes six countries, is July 21-25 at the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium while the men’s slow pitch Border Battle is July 23.

“The World Cup of Softball VI and Border Battle III showcase the world’s best teams in fast pitch and slow pitch,” ASA Supervisor of Umpires Kevin Ryan said. “To be selected as an umpire for either of the events is an honor and a privilege, something that every umpire should aspire to. To be able to umpire with umpires from around the United States and around the world is a thrill these 13 umpires will cherish for the rest of their careers.”

Umpires for the World Cup are Australia’s Howard Watt, Canada’s Ian Brown, Czech Republic’s Jan Hora, Japan’s Yoshiko Ogasawara, and the United States’ Cindi Brunot (Lantana, Fla.), Bryan Smith (Lansing, Mich.), Traci Stoelting (Avon, Ind.) and John Wright (Olympia, Wash.). The umpires will work 18 international softball games that feature Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Great Britain, Japan and the recently named 2011 USA Softball Women’s National Team.

“I am in total awe of being selected by the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) of America to represent all of the hardworking umpires in this organization. While I may be the person selected, I represent all of the great umpires that I have had the pleasure to work with and learn from over the years,” Wright said. “Umpiring at the World Cup of Softball has always been a goal of mine. But being realistic, it was one of those goals I thought I probably would never have the chance to achieve. The odds were against me. I knew I had a really slim chance at being chosen from all of the great umpires ASA has so it’s amazing to be headed to Oklahoma City for this event. I’m so grateful for the chance. It is going to hit me soon.”

Five umpires have been selected for the Border Battle including Lance Davidson of Canada. The U.S. umpires are Paul Bosshardt (Naples, Fla.), Paul Drake (Oregon, Ohio), Devin Hubble (Lander, Wyo.) and Paul Kraimer (Maple Plain, Minn.). In addition to the Border Battle, a game that will be internationally televised on ESPN, the umpires will also work a series of exhibitions July 21-22 that will help Canada and the U.S. prepare for competition.

“My commissioner, Scott Gagnon of Minneapolis ASA, called me up a couple months ago and said ‘What are you doing at the end of July?’ I said ‘I don’t know.’ He asked me if I could get someone to watch my kids so I could umpire the Border Battle. Wow,” Kraimer said. “I said ‘No kidding. I’ll bring the kids if I have to.’ I just have to say thanks to the ASA for inviting me to do this. It is an honor and a privilege that has left me kind of speechless. Out of the 35,000 umpires in this organization, four of us were chosen. It’s a nice little club to be a part of.”

Tickets for the World Cup and Border Battle are now on sale. A ticket to the Border Battle is included in all-session ticket packages for the World Cup, which are $275 and $325 for the Ultimate Fan Zone premium seating in the first three rows of the stadium, $75 for other reserved seating and $40 for general admission seating, and can be purchased online now at SoftballOutlet.com or by calling 800-654-8337. Single session general admission tickets are expected to go on sale July 5, 2011.

Six World Cup games and the Border Battle will air across the United States this July on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3.com with additional 150 countries across ESPN's international networks including ESPN America, ESPN Pacific Rim, ESPN Australia HD, ESPN Brazil HD, ESPN Israel, ESPN Middle East, ESPN Africa, ESPN Caribbean and ESPN2 Caribbean receiving coverage. The complete TV schedule can be found at USASoftball.com.

The World Cup and Border Battle are events sanctioned by the International Softball Federation.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 20, 2011

Umpires announced for World Cup of Softball VI, Border Battle III

OKLAHOMA CITY — Thirteen umpires from six countries will partake in the World Cup of Softball VI and Border Battle III in Oklahoma City, the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) of America announced today. The World Cup of Softball, a women’s fast pitch event that includes six countries, is July 21-25 at the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium while the men’s slow pitch Border Battle is July 23.

“The World Cup of Softball VI and Border Battle III showcase the world’s best teams in fast pitch and slow pitch,” ASA Supervisor of Umpires Kevin Ryan said. “To be selected as an umpire for either of the events is an honor and a privilege, something that every umpire should aspire to. To be able to umpire with umpires from around the United States and around the world is a thrill these 13 umpires will cherish for the rest of their careers.”

Umpires for the World Cup are Australia’s Howard Watt, Canada’s Ian Brown, Czech Republic’s Jan Hora, Japan’s Yoshiko Ogasawara, and the United States’ Cindi Brunot (Lantana, Fla.), Bryan Smith (Lansing, Mich.), Traci Stoelting (Avon, Ind.) and John Wright (Olympia, Wash.). The umpires will work 18 international softball games that feature Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Great Britain, Japan and the recently named 2011 USA Softball Women’s National Team.

“I am in total awe of being selected by the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) of America to represent all of the hardworking umpires in this organization. While I may be the person selected, I represent all of the great umpires that I have had the pleasure to work with and learn from over the years,” Wright said. “Umpiring at the World Cup of Softball has always been a goal of mine. But being realistic, it was one of those goals I thought I probably would never have the chance to achieve. The odds were against me. I knew I had a really slim chance at being chosen from all of the great umpires ASA has so it’s amazing to be headed to Oklahoma City for this event. I’m so grateful for the chance. It is going to hit me soon.”

Five umpires have been selected for the Border Battle including Lance Davidson of Canada. The U.S. umpires are Paul Bosshardt (Naples, Fla.), Paul Drake (Oregon, Ohio), Devin Hubble (Lander, Wyo.) and Paul Kraimer (Maple Plain, Minn.). In addition to the Border Battle, a game that will be internationally televised on ESPN, the umpires will also work a series of exhibitions July 21-22 that will help Canada and the U.S. prepare for competition.

“My commissioner, Scott Gagnon of Minneapolis ASA, called me up a couple months ago and said ‘What are you doing at the end of July?’ I said ‘I don’t know.’ He asked me if I could get someone to watch my kids so I could umpire the Border Battle. Wow,” Kraimer said. “I said ‘No kidding. I’ll bring the kids if I have to.’ I just have to say thanks to the ASA for inviting me to do this. It is an honor and a privilege that has left me kind of speechless. Out of the 35,000 umpires in this organization, four of us were chosen. It’s a nice little club to be a part of.”

Tickets for the World Cup and Border Battle are now on sale. A ticket to the Border Battle is included in all-session ticket packages for the World Cup, which are $275 and $325 for the Ultimate Fan Zone premium seating in the first three rows of the stadium, $75 for other reserved seating and $40 for general admission seating, and can be purchased online now at SoftballOutlet.com or by calling 800-654-8337. Single session general admission tickets are expected to go on sale July 5, 2011.

Six World Cup games and the Border Battle will air across the United States this July on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3.com with additional 150 countries across ESPN's international networks including ESPN America, ESPN Pacific Rim, ESPN Australia HD, ESPN Brazil HD, ESPN Israel, ESPN Middle East, ESPN Africa, ESPN Caribbean and ESPN2 Caribbean receiving coverage. The complete TV schedule can be found at USASoftball.com.

The World Cup and Border Battle are events sanctioned by the International Softball Federation.
What.....only two southerners.....(and am not certain Florida can be considered the South [sorry Hugo and Wade]).....................

Joel
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
What.....only two southerners.....(and am not certain Florida can be considered the South [sorry Hugo and Wade]).....................

Joel
And one from Europe! I had the honor to work with Jan last summer in Prague; good umpire and friendly guy. I do hope to see him next month, again in CzechRep.

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

John Wright: u da man!

John is a good enough person that he could pass for a Southerner. He's a good 'un and will do it up right.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
And one from Europe! I had the honor to work with Jan last summer in Prague; good umpire and friendly guy. I do hope to see him next month, again in CzechRep.
I guess Australia might be considered South...........

Joel
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Paul Drake is our state UIC. I've never met the guy and he's never been involved with any clinic, NUS or function that I've attended. I was beginning to wonder if the guy really existed!
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post

Joel
No problem -
Pass the grits

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 06:23am.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
No problem -
Pass the grits
Well.....now I know you are from the south..........I know you didn't learn to eat them in Chicago.............

We had our first rain since early February this morning (still not sure if it was measurable.....but we do have a 50% chance for the rest of the day)........knocked out my power (and most of the area) for about two hours.

Salt builds up on the power line insulators.....small amount of rain------->arcing-------->substations go down.

Glad it is back on......

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 08:57am.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Paul Drake is our state UIC. I've never met the guy and he's never been involved with any clinic, NUS or function that I've attended. I was beginning to wonder if the guy really existed!
This is Paul's second time being assigned to this game. He's a nice guy, except for all the dipping & spitting.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

John Wright is adopted by Seattle Metro ASA, and is basically one of ours... tho he hails from Washington State ASA. He just recently got his ISF this last winter, and will do fine at these games.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
John Wright is adopted by Seattle Metro ASA, and is basically one of ours... tho he hails from Washington State ASA. He just recently got his ISF this last winter, and will do fine at these games.
Glad that you can even play softball in Seattle.........I had an umpire friend back in the 90's that had to have a jacket and gloves to call a game in July there..............

I am sure that these umpires were selected based on ability vs. politics like the WCWS and the BBWS.............

Congrats to all of them........

Joel