The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

A new one on the field for me this weekend

I've had dislodged bases before, but has anyone ever had a dislodged HOME PLATE?

A new plate had been poorly installed earlier in the week. It was not the type that is spiked or buried into the ground, but was placed into the ground similar to bases with a single rubber anchor. The plate was also at least 1/2" above the ground and not flush with the ground. In the fifth inning, a runner came sliding in home, and the anchor popped out of the plate and the plate slid halfway to the backstop.

Gotta love rec ball and the fields they play on!
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
I've had dislodged bases before, but has anyone ever had a dislodged HOME PLATE?

A new plate had been poorly installed earlier in the week. It was not the type that is spiked or buried into the ground, but was placed into the ground similar to bases with a single rubber anchor. The plate was also at least 1/2" above the ground and not flush with the ground. In the fifth inning, a runner came sliding in home, and the anchor popped out of the plate and the plate slid halfway to the backstop.

Gotta love rec ball and the fields they play on!
unplayable.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
unplayable.
Not too many sandlots in this neck of the woods with perfect playing conditions.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

I had a varsity game where this happened. Nice field good school, girl slide in home and pulled the plate out of the ground. Coach comes out and says I finally got them to order me a new plate I have been telling them this one's getting old it's suppose to be here tomorrow! We reset it and went on with no issues. And two weeks later when I was there they did have a new home plate
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
unplayable.
I agree... the 1/2 inch above ground is not safe. While I understand the "rec fields are not ideal" reality, if this was a city park, a call to the city, explaining that you are an umpire, and that you are officially reporting this situation as unsafe (with the implication that you will be ready to let anyone injured know this was reported to the city), will likely result in swift action. At least it did when I reported a similar situation in my city.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

First time I've seen this called. Have called a few games and seen a few more.

I was scheduled for the next game so I was sitting in the bleachers watching this game. Batter switched from the LH batter's box to the RH batter's box. Pitcher was on the pitcher's plate taking her signal.

I'm sitting there thinking, uh-oh, that's not good. After a couple/few seconds delay, the PU called the batter out. Third base coach comes down the line with a "WTH" look on his face. PU explained what happened and the result. He just turned around and went back to his coach's box.

I'm sitting there wondering if the penalty was an out, or a strike. Just couldn't remember. A mom and dad were sitting behind me and asked if I would have called that. I explained what the batter was not allowed to do, but didn't discuss the penalty because I wasn't sure of it.

Checked w/ the TD and UIC, and our blue got it absolutely right. Afterwards, he explained what his thought process was. Batter crosses over - ding, ding, ding, alarm bells going off - what's the call???? He finally called the out. Said it was the first time in 15 years he ever made that call.

Hopefully, being there, it'll help me remember should I ever encounter it.

It's nice when the blue team gets it right!
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes, you just have that moment of "holy s***, did I really just see that?!"

It takes a moment to process it, only to be quickly followed by, "oh god, all hell's about to break loose when I call this one."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.