View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

First time I've seen this called. Have called a few games and seen a few more.

I was scheduled for the next game so I was sitting in the bleachers watching this game. Batter switched from the LH batter's box to the RH batter's box. Pitcher was on the pitcher's plate taking her signal.

I'm sitting there thinking, uh-oh, that's not good. After a couple/few seconds delay, the PU called the batter out. Third base coach comes down the line with a "WTH" look on his face. PU explained what happened and the result. He just turned around and went back to his coach's box.

I'm sitting there wondering if the penalty was an out, or a strike. Just couldn't remember. A mom and dad were sitting behind me and asked if I would have called that. I explained what the batter was not allowed to do, but didn't discuss the penalty because I wasn't sure of it.

Checked w/ the TD and UIC, and our blue got it absolutely right. Afterwards, he explained what his thought process was. Batter crosses over - ding, ding, ding, alarm bells going off - what's the call???? He finally called the out. Said it was the first time in 15 years he ever made that call.

Hopefully, being there, it'll help me remember should I ever encounter it.

It's nice when the blue team gets it right!