The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

best way to call the game from behind pitcher?

I know this is never ideal, and it's only a mechanic that is used as a last resort but a few times I've been called on to call a game from behind the pitcher. What's the best way to position myself to call pitches? Should I emulate the slot and stand on the same side of the pitcher as the batter or on the opposite side? What about pitches that arc a lot? And obviously, the angle sucks for balls down the line, any tips on how to make the best of a bad position? What about keeping the runners honest? I guess 2B is entirely on the honor system?

I know none of this positioning is ASA approved and I don't care really. I'm just interested in knowing how to make the best of a not so great situation.

I'm not interested in discussing why I ended up behind the pitcher. Sometimes in rec ball, things don't go the way they should and we end up in non-ideal situations but the teams want to play because they're there and are willing to tolerate a less than ideal ump situation as long as they can play.
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

You should call the game from behind the plate, even if 1-man.
Nothing good comes from calling balls/strikes from behind P.
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
You should call the game from behind the plate, even if 1-man.
Nothing good comes from calling balls/strikes from behind P.
Fastpitch rec game, umpire doesn't show up, the OP is in the stands, is an umpire, but doesn't have his gear. Team asks him to umpire anyway, even if he stands behind the pitcher.

His choices: Say no (a viable choice); umpire from behind the catcher without a mask (not me, no way); umpire from behind the pitcher.

I have zero insight into how to best call the game from behind the pitcher, but I can see how the situation might arise...
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I know this is never ideal, and it's only a mechanic that is used as a last resort but a few times I've been called on to call a game from behind the pitcher. What's the best way to position myself to call pitches? Should I emulate the slot and stand on the same side of the pitcher as the batter or on the opposite side? What about pitches that arc a lot? And obviously, the angle sucks for balls down the line, any tips on how to make the best of a bad position? What about keeping the runners honest? I guess 2B is entirely on the honor system?

I know none of this positioning is ASA approved and I don't care really. I'm just interested in knowing how to make the best of a not so great situation.

I'm not interested in discussing why I ended up behind the pitcher. Sometimes in rec ball, things don't go the way they should and we end up in non-ideal situations but the teams want to play because they're there and are willing to tolerate a less than ideal ump situation as long as they can play.
Not a problem. I'll be just beyond the centerfield fence with a cooler at my feet. Like to guess what is in it?
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not a problem. I'll be just beyond the centerfield fence with a cooler at my feet. Like to guess what is in it?
Well I guess you're wrong here, it is a problem! When I go to watch a game from behind the centerfield fence with a cooler at my feet, I want that game to be played! Otherwise I could have stayed in my own backgarden with many more beer/wine/soda's!!!
B.t.w. in your cooler is stacked away a spare mask, body protector, leg guards and uniform, right? That would be the best option!

So, I also see how this situation arises. Don't have however the solution, nor a key to open the door to the solution...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Well I guess you're wrong here, it is a problem! When I go to watch a game from behind the centerfield fence with a cooler at my feet, I want that game to be played! Otherwise I could have stayed in my own backgarden with many more beer/wine/soda's!!!
Of course, the game will be played! That's why we need to be in centerfield, to call the pitches from there. You would never see the strike zone very well from beyond the left or right field fences, though some believe they can.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I like this choice.....I have tried to call games behind the pitcher a few times in scrimages when one of my daughters was playing ball.......looking back.......I would rather have called them from the bleachers......or from behind the outfield fence as Mike stated.

Less likely to miss important stuff that might happen that way........

Joel
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Fastpitch rec game, umpire doesn't show up, the OP is in the stands, is an umpire, but doesn't have his gear. Team asks him to umpire anyway, even if he stands behind the pitcher.
I can't imagine being in that situation.

There is never a time that my uniforms and equipment aren't in my vehicle. There just isn't any reason NOT to have them with me.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I wish I had an answer for you. I have only done this one time. Our local league was trying to get more umpires involved in the lower levels of instructional ball. i.e. getting SP to make the move. So the league initiated this policy that U10 Inst. games could be called behind the pitcher. A friend said I should try it, said "you will love it." Now I do both FP & SP, and it was a really hot day, so I thought I would try it.
Did the 1st half inning and hated it. I went to both coaches and said I would do the bottom of the inning to be fair but then I was going to go grab my mask and CP and call the rest of the game behind the plate.
I will never do that again, hot or not.

BTW, I think they did away with this anyway. Sorry I couldn't help though.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

His choices: Say no (a viable choice); umpire from behind the catcher without a mask (not me, no way); umpire from behind the pitcher.

I have zero insight into how to best call the game from behind the pitcher, but I can see how the situation might arise...
I'd call the game from behind the backstop, in a lawn chair.
As we all know, it is a much better view than what we have in the slot.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I can't imagine being in that situation.

There is never a time that my uniforms and equipment aren't in my vehicle. There just isn't any reason NOT to have them with me.
That must be a smelly car by now. Don't your uniforms leave the car to wash them? My bag is only in my car when it's getting transported from or to a diamond. otherwise it's at home (drying up and washing) or in the locker room (empty 'cause I wear the stuff).

Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

I would have said, "it should never happen..." or "I can't imagine this" ... until it did.

Had to switch cars, so I am driving my wife's car. My stuff is in my car's trunk. Was asked to call a single game, 14U... told them I wouldn't be my normal 45min to an hour early and might even start a second late, as my wife had to meet me there with my stuff.

As it turned out, kid had an emergency and my wife couldn't come out there...

So I'm at the park, gearless. I tried 1 inning behind the pitcher and it sucked. Bad zone, bad view of action going on around me - no view of runners leaving, etc.

I actually had a much better time umpiring the game as BU - moving from A to B to C as appropriate. Told both coaches the zone was going to be big and they completely understood. Not a complete disaster and luckily both teams swung the bats - not too many semi-controversial un-swung-at pitchers. Recommend this as FAR superior to behind the pitcher (except perhaps at ages with closed bases).

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
That must be a smelly car by now. Don't your uniforms leave the car to wash them? My bag is only in my car when it's getting transported from or to a diamond. otherwise it's at home (drying up and washing) or in the locker room (empty 'cause I wear the stuff).
Can't speak for you, Alex, or the ESA norm, but I have more than several sets of uniforms. Whatever is in the laundry has several replacements available. And the equipment bag is always there.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Having an umpire behind the pitcher would have been a step up in my game last night!

In the men's fastpitch league where I play, for some reason no umpire showed up at our field. We had the catcher's call balls and strikes, with surprisingly few grumbles. As it turned out, there weren't really any banger plays on the bases or any other weird situations where you'd need an umpire to step in and sort it out.

It was actually one of the smoothest games we've had all year.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Can't speak for you, Alex, or the ESA norm, but I have more than several sets of uniforms. Whatever is in the laundry has several replacements available. And the equipment bag is always there.

I only work my games on Saturday, or sometimes on Sunday. Little country, not many playing the sport >> TOP-leagues only in the weekends and holidays. So I can have an empty car through the week... I do have multiple uniforms, however in every color only two shirts (1 plate & 1 base)
I do understand you have many more games in a week, and therefor have always a loaded car.