The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I need some feedback and opinions on this one. The situation is this...a fair batted ball strikes a baserunner while they are on the base. I know the baserunner is not out but my question is, when is it a dead ball as versus a live ball? The rule book (federation) states that the runner is not out and the ball is either live or dead, depending on the position of the fielder. That's all it says with no further explanation or examples. This did happen to me during a game in the fall and I simply called it a "dead ball" and awarded the batter first base. I don't think any of the coaches knew any better so I got away with it. Now I've been thinking about it and would like some comments. Where does the fielder have to be, in relation to the ball, for it to be either a dead ball or live ball??
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

If the fielders are playing in and it passes them before it hits the runner on base it is a live ball. If the ball hits the runner on base before passing a fielder than it is a dead ball. BR is awarded 1st and only runners that are force to advanced are moved

Should add on here if the runner is on 1st or 3rd while in contact with the base but standing in foul territory when hit with the ball it is nothing but a foul ball

Don

[Edited by oppool on Jan 15th, 2003 at 02:40 PM]
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good point Don. That answers Buck912's question.

References:
ASA Rule 8, Sec 8 J & K, or Rule 8 Sec 9 D-F along with POE42.
NFHS Rule 8 Sec 1 ART 2 a. and effects 1, 2, & 3. [2003 Rule
book]

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

It may be a minor point, but it is not the position of the runner that matters, but the poistion of the ball. So if a runner standing on 3rd is struck by the ball, it is a foul ball if the ball is over foul territory when contact occurs. If the ball is over fair territory, it is a live, fair ball if it has already passed the fielder and it strikes the runner.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike. The situtation depends on whether the ball is a fair or foul ball, not the position of the runner. If the runner is on the bag, and considering that the base is in fair territory, if the batted ball is a normal fair ball, then it's a fair ball. If the runner has one foot on the base and the rest of her body is in foul territory and a ball is hit directly on the line and hits her, the ball is fair and then depending upon the position of the fielder, a ruling will be made on live ball/dead ball. That's the way I see it. Any other viewpoints? Now, I hope I said that right. I almost confused myself.......
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

That is basically what I said

If the runner is in contact with the bag and standing in foul territory and hit with the ball over foul territory it is a foul ball. If the ball if over fair territory when the contact is made it is a fair ball

Don
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree. Thanks Don for your valuable input. Keep in touch and I'll do the same......
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: That is basically what I said

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
If the runner is in contact with the bag and standing in foul territory and hit with the ball over foul territory it is a foul ball. If the ball if over fair territory when the contact is made it is a fair ball

Don
I think what Mike is saying is that it is feasible for a fair ball to hit a runner in contact with the bag over foul territory. Those times would be a definitive minority, but it can happen.

I think that is one of the reasons the rule book mentions the status of the ball prior to introducing the contact or scenario-determining event.