The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Didjya Ever Notice?

This has nothing to do with FPSB and I don't expect anyone to have an answer (wrong board) , but putting it out there...

In MLB low pitch, skips into catcher's mitt.
New baseball.
Why? Dirt puts a spot on ball which batters don't like.

Just watched the first inning of Mil-Atl.
Whole half-inning with the same baseball!

Two of the outs were ground outs where ball hit on the infield dirt, but the same ball stayed in the game.
Seems like there would be "spots" on the baseball, but there was no "ball rotation".

Doesn't this sound a bit contradictory?
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Batters love to have a spot on the ball. It helps identify spin or rotation. That is not the reason.

I have been told by MLB umpires that when a pitch hits the dirt...there is a high probability that the leather is scuffed, broken or torn. Therefore, advantage to pitchers who can utilize this. Ball out of play.

"Supposedly" a batted ball does not cause the same effect.

But to go a whole inning....is unusual.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame View Post
Batters love to have a spot on the ball. It helps identify spin or rotation. That is not the reason.

I have been told by MLB umpires that when a pitch hits the dirt...there is a high probability that the leather is scuffed, broken or torn. Therefore, advantage to pitchers who can utilize this. Ball out of play.

"Supposedly" a batted ball does not cause the same effect.

But to go a whole inning....is unusual.
Glad you said supposedly since the ball off the bat is often faster and with more spin that a pitch. And the dirt in the infield is usually not kept as soft as that around the plate.

I can tell you that the hide doesn't know the difference, nor have I ever seen leather "broken". Even a hide as tough as bison or waterbuffalo, that gets extremely dry and rigid after processing will bend when forced.

Another note, it is usually the catcher asking for a replacement when the pitch is in the dirt, without prompting from the batter OR umpire.

But is makes no difference, if the ball is damaged, get rid of it.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu May 05, 2011 at 07:03am.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
This has nothing to do with FPSB and I don't expect anyone to have an answer (wrong board) , but putting it out there...

In MLB low pitch, skips into catcher's mitt.
New baseball.
Why? Dirt puts a spot on ball which batters don't like.

Just watched the first inning of Mil-Atl.
Whole half-inning with the same baseball!

Two of the outs were ground outs where ball hit on the infield dirt, but the same ball stayed in the game.
Seems like there would be "spots" on the baseball, but there was no "ball rotation".

Doesn't this sound a bit contradictory?
I first started noticing the frequency of new balls being introduced into MLB when I first started umpiring baseball over 30 years ago.

When I was in college, I attended just about every University of Tx home baseball game and found it funny, that foul balls hit off concrete wall always made thier way back into the PU's ball bag. I know those things had to have some major scuffs on them.

Joel
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:02am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
When I was in college, I attended just about every University of Tx home baseball game and found it funny, that foul balls hit off concrete wall always made thier way back into the PU's ball bag. I know those things had to have some major scuffs on them.

Joel
Now a days, I've noticed that they toss balls a lot quicker at the D-I level.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I was just talking to a friend about this while we were watching a game at the watering hole the other night. We both said when we were kids that both of us had played with baseballs that barely had a cover on them, and we still managed to play a game with them. Great times.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Was at a minor league baseball game Sunday and was observing the ball rotation procedures.

One instance I found humerous was after a play, the ball was returned to the infield. The base umpire called for the ball, looked at it apparently found it fit and gave it to the pitcher to use. The pitcher immediately threw it to the catcher for replacement, which the plate umpire supplied and rolled the ball to the bat boy at the home dugout.

In one instance, the catcher rolled a ball to the dugout for the bat boy and got a replacement from the plate umpire. I'm not sure if he was directed to do so by the PU or what. It only happened once, but it looked odd.

They went through a whole lot more balls than I ever see used in a FP game. Of course, we do hunt down the foul balls and return them for use.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I read or heard a few years back that the average life of a baseball in a major league game was 8 pitches.

Also, that with a count of 3-2, the next pitch is fouled off approximately 65% of the time. Maybe you could make a few bucks in a bar on that one. Eventually, the at bat will end somehow, even if it's a caught foul ball.

In a recent game, Boston's Dustin Pedroia fouled off 9 consecutive before delivering a 2-run basehit.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Thu May 05, 2011 at 03:09pm. Reason: sp
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Now a days, I've noticed that they toss balls a lot quicker at the D-I level.
This was in the late 70's early 80's...I think that a hatchet would have to been taken to the ball to be removed from the game.......

I saw balls put back into play that had been scorched against concrete........

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Fri May 06, 2011 at 03:33am.