The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 07:36pm
In Time Out

Question

I would like some expert opinions on how best to handle a difficult situation. Last season, I watched (from behind home) a base umpire make s series of apparent wrong calls.

It was clearly not intentional, and the plays were close, and I'm not saying I haven't blown my share as well. But after a while, it was apparent he was missing close calls. It was a playoff game, so there was urgency to the outcome. It was an assembled crew from all over. I didn't know the individual, never saw him before, and haven't seen him again.

Fortunately, the mistakes didn't affect the outcome of the game, but, what if they would have?

It was clearly his call in each case, and normally you shouldn't intervene if he doesn't ask for help and no one appeals. Because I didn't know him, and by the time I recognized the pattern, the game was getting some spread to the score, so, coupled with a very fast pace to the game, I didn't risk a disruption by approaching him about it. If it were a local game or I knew the person involved, I would have talked to him.

Thankfully, even though they were beconing aware of the problem as well, neither manager made an issue of it. (Isn't it interesting how some of the best coaches are some of the most tolerant?)

Not knowing his background, I hesitated to raise the issue afterward, since, as noted, it clearly wasn't intentional, and I didn't want to get someone in hot water over 1 day's events.

This type of scenario obviously applys to other sports besides softball & baseball. I really try to respect the decisions of others, and incourage asking for help if in doubt. It can also be very disruptive to nitpick or confer to death. But, at what point should an umpire / referee / etc. step in on another's call?

My 1st. concern is for the players, who deserve to settle things on the field. But I can also envision a big game turning into a small riot if too many mistakes are overlooked.

Thanks in advance for opinions on how best to handle this.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Guess you have to handle each situation as it arises.

Last year, I worked with a BU who called the BR out on a double play on the grounds that he himself—the BU—had forced F4 to throw around him and thus miss the out. The defense immediately scurried off the field, while the offense stood dumbfounded. Naturally, they appealed to me as PU, and I conferred with the BU and we reversed the call. The defense did not put up much argument. It was a 40-and-over playoff game, fairly high level, with a couple of former pros participating. These guys pretty much let it go, but I could hear both teams joking among themselves about the BU.

Later in the game, BU called another double play on the same team when R1 slid slightly past 2B and lightly contacted F6, well after he had released a late throw to 1B. They appealed to me again, but I let that one stand. It was judgment (bad judgment, but judgment nevertheless), and I didn't want to have the guy shown up again. In a crucial spot, I would have had to talk to him, though.

After the game (won by the aggrieved team, luckily), I told BU that at this level, the contact call was not appropriate. I've seen this BU many times since then, and though he has a long way to go, he has improved.

I also worked a tournament game with a BU who called a runner stealing 2B out for a crash after the ball had bounded into right center field and F6 has been drawn into the runner's path. I was going to go out and talk to him, but within five seconds he had thrown two coaches out of the game and threatened to forfeit if anyone said anything more. It was a horrible call, but at that point it was tough to reverse. Later in the game, he thought that calling of the infield fly was tantamount to a catch, and that runners could tag and advance the moment the batter was called out.

They told me this guy had been some sort of college baseball hero, too.

Once, at a tournament, while I was watching a game during a break from my own, the director approached me and quietly said, "You guys are doing a good job, but these two guys are terrible." I didn't say anything, but he was absolutely right. They must have blown five calls in the ten minutes I was watching them.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion you made the right choice. Not getting involved since
as you stated you were a spectator and not involved in the game.
If none of his calls were questioned by the competing coaches,
[them asking him to go to his partner] nor did he ask his
partner for help, then there is not much you can do but live by his
decision on the play[s]. It sounds from your post that all the calls
were judgment calls, so his to live with. I think that if
the calls were as obviously as bad as you stated, then his chances
of doing more playoff games are probably not to good.

Panda Bear wrote:
"But, at what point should an umpire / referee / etc. step in on another's call?"

As stated by ASA Rule 10 Sec 6 B. Under no circumstances will any
umpire seek to reverse a decision made by an assoicate, nor will any
umpire criticize or interfere with the duties of his associate[s] unless asked to do so.

ASA Rule 10 Sec 6 C. Does allow PU to rectify any situation in which the reversal of an
umpire's decision or a delayed call by an umpire
places a batter-runner, a
runner or the defensive team in jeopardy. etc etc..

JMO

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.