The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 29, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Interference

Posting this because I can't convince a coach...

Left handed batter, runner on 3rd. Ball goes past the catcher. Pitcher comes straight in to the plate, in my judgement the frozen batter, still in the box, did not impede the pitcher. Even if there was contact, the pitcher is standing there in plenty of time for the throw, waiting on the throw. Throw finally comes (beginning of the throw from the catcher was after F1 was set up at the plate, if it matters to you), batter easily safe before the ball gets there.

Coach wants interference on the batter.

What say you?

Now ... same sitch, but a RHB who if anything puts herself in the BATTER's way, not the fielder, as the ball was up 3BLE by the backstop.

Last scenario. Frozen RHB in a similar sitch as above, but ball is on 1BLE and F2 doesn't throw the ball at all (possibly for fear of hitting the batter, possibly not ... I'm not in her head). Do you have anything now?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Apr 29, 2011, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post

Left handed batter, runner on 3rd. Ball goes past the catcher. Pitcher comes straight in to the plate, in my judgement the frozen batter, still in the box, did not impede the pitcher. Even if there was contact, the pitcher is standing there in plenty of time for the throw, waiting on the throw. Throw finally comes (beginning of the throw from the catcher was after F1 was set up at the plate, if it matters to you), batter easily safe before the ball gets there.

What say you?
The batter scored and interfered while frozen? Damn!

If YOU did not JUDGE interference, it isn't interference. If you didn't call it when it happened, you probably have no reason to rule is after the fact unless you had a partner who could provide additional information of which you were not aware. If you say that batter didn't interfere, she didn't interfere. You may be right; You may be wrong; I don't know, I wasn't there.

Just out of curiousity, what did the coach say the pitcher did that lead him to believe there was INT?
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Just out of curiousity, what did the coach say the pitcher did that lead him to believe there was INT?
I think "interference on the batter" meant "interference by the batter". It sounds to me like the DC was grasping at straws on this play.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=mbcrowder;754467]
Quote:

In your judgement, the batter did not interfere......than no interference. Coaches will be coaches. Umpires will be umpires. I know he will not take that as an explanation, but you ruled correctly by what you saw.

Quote:
What say you?

Now ... same sitch, but a RHB who if anything puts herself in the RUNNER'S? way, not the fielder, as the ball was up 3BLE by the backstop.

Last scenario. Frozen RHB in a similar sitch as above, but ball is on 1BLE and F2 doesn't throw the ball at all (possibly for fear of hitting the batter, possibly not ... I'm not in her head). Do you have anything now?
Same answer......if you judged the batter interfered......call it. I might have more of a case for interference in the last scenario though since the batter should have cleared the area and her presence would have interfered with a throw.

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Sat Apr 30, 2011 at 04:12pm.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes coaches seem to confuse how they coach a player ("you must vacate the area if there is going to be a play at the plate") with what the rule actually says.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now ... same sitch, but a RHB who if anything puts herself in the BATTER's way, not the fielder, as the ball was up 3BLE by the backstop?
I took he must have meant in the "RUNNER's" way...kind of hard for a batter to get in the batter's way.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I took he must have meant in the "RUNNER's" way...kind of hard for a batter to get in the batter's way.
I used to play softball, and as a batter I got in my own way plenty. I could stretch a triple into a single all day...
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur View Post
I think "interference on the batter" meant "interference by the batter". It sounds to me like the DC was grasping at straws on this play.
That wasn't the question.
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach that I couldn't convince once, he said the batter interfered with R1 from 3B. He just couldn't understand.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His exact words were, "She can't just stand there." He didn't get any more detailed than that.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
We could not convince a JV coach on Saturday that R1 does not have the right to interfere with F6 going for a ground ball. He was absolutely adamant that the runner had the right to run F6 over if she was in the basepath. When we told him to look up Rule 8, he told us he doesn't need to look anything up, that he knows the rules, and we are the ones that need to learn the rules. I just shook my head.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
... he told us he doesn't need to look anything up, that he knows the rules, and we are the ones that need to learn the rules....
At this point, I may have provided him with an opportunity to go to the parking lot and review the rule in question.....
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
At this point, I may have provided him with an opportunity to go to the parking lot and review the rule in question.....
And provide the coach a copy of Andy's sig, while you're at it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important!
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His exact words were, "She can't just stand there." He didn't get any more detailed than that.
Really? I must have missed that in the rule book.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? I must have missed that in the rule book.
Like I said, seeming to mix coaching with what the rules say.