The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Foul or fair

I would not normally ask this question because I feel I have it correct and the rule book backs me, but I am being questioned by an experienced high school baseball umpire and I want to make sure I have it right. So after reading the rule books, I am going to the "Experts" on this web site to confirm what I think or let you all convince me I am wrong.

This is NFHS Baseball but I believe it is the same answer for all levels of softball and baseball.

Is this statement true or false: A batted ball that lands without being touched in the batter's box is always a foul ball.

I believe this is false. There is a space in the batters box on the pitcher side and the home plate side (front, inside) that is in fair territory. I am being told the entire batter box is considered in foul teritory, but I have looked at the NFHS baseball, ASA SOftball, and Babe Ruth Baseball rule books and I find nothing to support this claim.

NFHS states:
A foul is a batted ball
a. which settels on foul territory between home and first base or between home and third base or
b. that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory or
c. that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base or
d. that while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or an object foreign to the natural ground or
e. touches the ground after inadvertantly being declared foul by an umpire.

Am I right or not?
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

As far as softball goes, there is a whole bunch of the batters box that is in fair territory, so the answer would be false.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevbrown View Post
I would not normally ask this question because I feel I have it correct and the rule book backs me, but I am being questioned by an experienced high school baseball umpire and I want to make sure I have it right. So after reading the rule books, I am going to the "Experts" on this web site to confirm what I think or let you all convince me I am wrong.

This is NFHS Baseball but I believe it is the same answer for all levels of softball and baseball.

Is this statement true or false: A batted ball that lands without being touched in the batter's box is always a foul ball.

I believe this is false. There is a space in the batters box on the pitcher side and the home plate side (front, inside) that is in fair territory. I am being told the entire batter box is considered in foul teritory, but I have looked at the NFHS baseball, ASA SOftball, and Babe Ruth Baseball rule books and I find nothing to support this claim.

NFHS states:
A foul is a batted ball
a. which settels on foul territory between home and first base or between home and third base or
d. that while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or an object foreign to the natural ground or

Am I right or not?
Speaking softball, you are correct.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

True dat........
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
True dat........
Word?

Just messin'...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

OK, this is often a point of misunderstanding how two different (but not necessarily opposite) rules interact.

If a batter is contacted by a batted ball while in the batter's box, the call is foul ball; no matter where in the batters box the batter is contacted.

But, any batted ball that is untouched by the batter is judged fair or foul based on an extended line from the back point of home plate to either first or third base. The batters box is immaterial, either fair or foul on those extended lines.

True in every softball ruleset, true in every baseball ruleset. Period.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
True in every softball ruleset, true in every baseball ruleset. Period.
Is that your final answer?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioJ View Post
Is that your final answer?
I'll take "Yes" for a thousand, Alex!
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Yeah what Steve said

I was thinking the same thing Steve put. Maybe they are talking about a batter that is hit in the batters box by a batted ball, this would always be a foul ball no matter where they are in the box(fair or foul territory doesn't matter). But as everyone else has said if you are judging a ball that has not hit a batter fair or foul the batters box lines don't mean squat!
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevbrown View Post

NFHS states:
A foul is a batted ball

Am I right or not?
When you say "experienced baseball umpire," are you talking about number of years spent in the profession or number of hours spent studying the game on a daily basis. There are lots of umpires with a number of years in the profession who still don't know squat, sadly.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

"There are lots of umpires with a number of years in the profession who still don't know squat, sadly."

I like to call these guys '20 year rookies'. I even get to work with one today, LUCKY ME!
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
"There are lots of umpires with a number of years in the profession who still don't know squat, sadly."

I like to call these guys '20 year rookies'. I even get to work with one today, LUCKY ME!
Nah, rookies are smarter
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
At the risk of being called an impostor, the "experienced high school baseball umpire " needs to "attend" more clinics, mentally.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post

I don't like that. Most rookies (MOST!) are eager, hard-working, hustling, and not yet jaded. These 20-year veteran know-nothings are a blight on the sport, but they are everywhere.

Instead of a guy with 20-years experience, they are guys with 1 year experience 20 times.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answers guys. That is why I always come back to this forum for anwers (after I look them up of course.

Thanks