The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

the batter hits a fly ball down the left field line in foul ground, the left fielder touches the ball while he is in fair ground, the ball hits the fielders mitt and lands in fair ground. Is this a fair ball or Foul ball ? Mens slow pitch ASA league.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

When the fielder touches the ball, its position relative to the foul line is the only determining factor. Where the fielder's feet are or where the ball hits the ground are as irrelevant as the phase of the moon at the time.

You said the ball was in (over) foul ground. Therefore, foul ball. And prepare to explain the call to the 20 people who are going to ask you about it.

Once during the LL World Series the announcers cheerfully informed the viewing audience that if only the third baseman had kept his feet within the foul line as he reached across it to scoop a ground ball, the ball would have been fair and he could have put somebody out. It is no wonder that so many people don't know this rule.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

The call depends on the position of the ball, not the position of the fielder.

If the ball was over foul ground when first touched, foul ball, even if the fielder's feet were in fair ground, and even if the ball then lands in fair ground.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
A simple reminder (and possibly a discussion stopper) is that you are calling fair/foul BALL, not fair/foul player!
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

More...Pop up to the infield (third base side half way between home plate and the third base bag) same thing happend. The pitcher was in fair ground the ball was in foul ground,the ball hit the pitchers glove and dropped into fair ground..Whats the call ?? Thanks for the help !!
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kssa
the ball was in foul ground
Foul ball.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Infield (between home and base) or outfield only matters on a ball that lands on the ground and crosses the line untouched. Other than that, the same fair/foul line runs from home plate to the limit of the outfield.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Just remember what C-one said in his post of May 19th, 2003 at 03:57 PM. If you remember that rule, there will be no problem.

Scott
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

I had to laugh because I was posting the same type of question as this poster at the same time.

The confusion ( FOR THE PLAYERS AND FANS) is they see the major leaguers reach over into the stands and make a catch. I told them tonite this isn't the major leagues.

Glen G
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen G
I had to laugh because I was posting the same type of question as this poster at the same time.

The confusion ( FOR THE PLAYERS AND FANS) is they see the major leaguers reach over into the stands and make a catch. I told them tonite this isn't the major leagues.

Glen G
Their rules are no different.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

A FOUL line and a DEAD BALL line are two different things. Obviously, the feet matter for the dead ball line.