The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question

I am a umpire in Nebraska who does both ASA and NFHS. We do ASA in spring and summer and NFHS in late summer and fall. We recently received a newsletter from Nebraska ASA which stated that the only color combination for our uniforms can be --- navy shirts need to be worn if gray pants are worn --- light blue shirts need to be worn with navy pants. Our State tourneys always had required that we wear navy blue pants with light blue shirts. All umpires that I know, which are many, prefer to wear gray pants because they are way!!! cooler and don't look so dusty after a few games. In our local games, we wore gray pants with light blue shirts which were smart looking and practical. What do other states require? It looks like we will have to throw out some $$$ for new navy shirts, which I can't believe would be that cool. By the way, I have umpired NFHS since 1996 and the uniform combination has never changed. (Gray slacks and light blue shirts) Thanks, Dave
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
IL ASA is light blue shirt navy pants
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
I am a umpire in Nebraska who does both ASA and NFHS. We do ASA in spring and summer and NFHS in late summer and fall. We recently received a newsletter from Nebraska ASA which stated that the only color combination for our uniforms can be --- navy shirts need to be worn if gray pants are worn --- light blue shirts need to be worn with navy pants. Our State tourneys always had required that we wear navy blue pants with light blue shirts. All umpires that I know, which are many, prefer to wear gray pants because they are way!!! cooler and don't look so dusty after a few games. In our local games, we wore gray pants with light blue shirts which were smart looking and practical. What do other states require? It looks like we will have to throw out some $$$ for new navy shirts, which I can't believe would be that cool. By the way, I have umpired NFHS since 1996 and the uniform combination has never changed. (Gray slacks and light blue shirts) Thanks, Dave
Dave,

The light over navy blue and the dark blue over grey are the official ASA uniform combos. Odds are at the NC level, the dark over grey will be a nighttime-only uniform if used at all.

To be honest with you, I think the color of the pants as it relates to the heat is extremely overrated. While the navy blue pants will show dust, they easily brush off between games. The grey easily shows any moisture which cannot be easily brushed off. I wear both uniforms and prefer the light over navy.

Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
By the way, I have umpired NFHS since 1996 and the uniform combination has never changed. (Gray slacks and light blue shirts)
Texas use to have the option of Navy or Light Blue shirts.
This year the NFHS changed that. The Note portion of
Rule 10-4 Art 2, was deleted. So now only the Light [power]
blue shirt with gray slacks will be worn.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

In Metro Phoenix and, I believe, the rest of AZ, the ASA uniform is light blue over grey for all games.

Mike - I have worn both the grey and navy pants during day games here in our wonderful desert heat and thought that there was a noticable difference in the heat index with the navy pants being warmer.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

This was a couple of years ago, but when I did ASA in North Dakota, we always wore the light blue shirt and either navy shorts, navy pants, or grey pants. We could wear any combination as long as both umpires in the two-man crew wore the same thing.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
In Metro Phoenix and, I believe, the rest of AZ, the ASA uniform is light blue over grey for all games.

Mike - I have worn both the grey and navy pants during day games here in our wonderful desert heat and thought that there was a noticable difference in the heat index with the navy pants being warmer.
Maybe it depends on the humidity. Hell, more than half the umpires I've talked to from you side of the country think the powder blue mesh pullovers are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Many in the East think they suck. I'd rather be back in the buttoned Elbeco.

However, only two things really keep you cooler, a bottle/thermos of cold water and staying off the infield.

JMHO,

Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Nah,

The cream colored shirt is the greatest!!!!!

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Trenton New Jersey is hot and humid day and night all summer, so every ump I know here hates the mesh pullover and wishes we had the Elbeco back. ASA has them for sale for $5, but they're out of XL, the most common size.

The best shirt I have ever worn is the POS+ all-cotton, in either plate size or base size. But they don't make a light blue one, just a navy with red and white trim like the Fed baseball or dark ASA shirt. It's heavy cotton, but very high quality and soft.

Wearing that polyester mesh is the tactile equivalent of hearing fingernails on a blackboard.

In my experience, the navy long pants from ASA pill too much. The shorts don't seem to have that problem.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Im my first year of officiating about 10 years ago, I'm on the field in my by the book ASA uniform, powder blue shirt, navy shorts, the high ASA socks with the blue stripes, and my navy hat. About the third inning of this game a little boy up in the stands, must of been about 5 or 6, turns to his mommy and says "mommy, why is there a mailman on the field?" It got a laugh from everyone there.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Going for comfort and not looks here.

Gotta go with Powder Blue Pullover and Grey Pants. A close second is Red Pullover w/Grey. Third Place goes to Cream and Grey. For night ball, Dark Blue and Grey followed by Black and Grey.

We personally can not stand Blue Pants....I guess it's a Illinois thing as none of the umpires we know like Blue Pants.

As for Elbeco's....You could not pay us enough to go back to them. We burned ours the first chance we got.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Totally agree.

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I think it is kind of amusing how we seem to be one step behind pro umpires in our dress code-- anyways-- I too am glad they ditched the
Elbeco shirts-- they were horrible, no wicking property at all--
BUt
why can't someone come up with something a little
more lightweight than the current ASA shirts ???
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWFLguy
I think it is kind of amusing how we seem to be one step behind pro umpires in our dress code-- anyways-- I too am glad they ditched the
Elbeco shirts-- they were horrible, no wicking property at all--
BUt
why can't someone come up with something a little
more lightweight than the current ASA shirts ???
The Elbecos allowed air to get between the shirt and the body, the new pull-over does not. I really don't care about any "wicking" property as by the time that becomes important, you are already too hot.

However, the Elbecos look terrible when they get wet.

The Mizuno shirt which is used by ISF is a very open weave and allows the air to get under the shirt. ASA needs to move to a similar design.

Do not look for ASA to move away from the blue pants anytime soon. The powder over the navy is damn near considered an ASA trademark, but you never really know.

Also, I could care less what pro umpires wear. Personally, I've seen crews out there in different uniforms and they look terrible. Even in the minors where you would think they would try to keep a bit more uniformity, umpires are not wearing the same shoes, shirts, t-shirt or jackets while working the same game.

I think the pros should start worrying less about fashion statements and more about the game. Looking sharp only helps until the first pitch and then it means nothing.

JMHO,

Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

In Texas, it would seem that the blue pants have become a thing of the past regardless of the national mandate. I have called ASA ball at several different locales here in North Texas, and haven't even seen the old navy blues in over two years. I must say that I am one of the crowd that doesn't miss them either. They were far less comfortable, and for my money no where as neat looking as the heather greys.

Scott