View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
I am a umpire in Nebraska who does both ASA and NFHS. We do ASA in spring and summer and NFHS in late summer and fall. We recently received a newsletter from Nebraska ASA which stated that the only color combination for our uniforms can be --- navy shirts need to be worn if gray pants are worn --- light blue shirts need to be worn with navy pants. Our State tourneys always had required that we wear navy blue pants with light blue shirts. All umpires that I know, which are many, prefer to wear gray pants because they are way!!! cooler and don't look so dusty after a few games. In our local games, we wore gray pants with light blue shirts which were smart looking and practical. What do other states require? It looks like we will have to throw out some $$$ for new navy shirts, which I can't believe would be that cool. By the way, I have umpired NFHS since 1996 and the uniform combination has never changed. (Gray slacks and light blue shirts) Thanks, Dave
Dave,

The light over navy blue and the dark blue over grey are the official ASA uniform combos. Odds are at the NC level, the dark over grey will be a nighttime-only uniform if used at all.

To be honest with you, I think the color of the pants as it relates to the heat is extremely overrated. While the navy blue pants will show dust, they easily brush off between games. The grey easily shows any moisture which cannot be easily brushed off. I wear both uniforms and prefer the light over navy.