The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Obstruction

I had a play the other night where my partner obstructed the runner. I can't find anything in the rule book, so I'll ask here.
Situation: Nobody on base, batter hits a fly ball, bounces away from the fielder. BU does a lazy button hook into the infield while watching the ball. I watch the batter-runner touch 1st, heading for 2nd. I can see what's going to happen. The batter-runner is watching fielder chase the ball, knows she can make 2nd. As she turns her head to 2nd, my BU is right there, she runs up his back. After regaining her balance, she continues to 2nd, and is tossed out on a close play. BU calls time, comes and tells me, "I was in the way". I tell him, "Yes you were, do you have out or safe at 2nd?" He say's out, and signals the out. Coach is headed to the field, and I explain to him that during the play, umpires are just like dirt. I can't award her 2nd, and I can't send her back to 1st. He accepts it.
As soon as I get home, I'm in the book. I can only find Umpires Interference, but nothing that covers this situation. My question is, did I handle this correctly? What should I have done?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I had a play the other night where my partner obstructed the runner. I can't find anything in the rule book, so I'll ask here.
Situation: Nobody on base, batter hits a fly ball, bounces away from the fielder. BU does a lazy button hook into the infield while watching the ball. I watch the batter-runner touch 1st, heading for 2nd. I can see what's going to happen. The batter-runner is watching fielder chase the ball, knows she can make 2nd. As she turns her head to 2nd, my BU is right there, she runs up his back. After regaining her balance, she continues to 2nd, and is tossed out on a close play. BU calls time, comes and tells me, "I was in the way". I tell him, "Yes you were, do you have out or safe at 2nd?" He say's out, and signals the out. Coach is headed to the field, and I explain to him that during the play, umpires are just like dirt. I can't award her 2nd, and I can't send her back to 1st. He accepts it.
As soon as I get home, I'm in the book. I can only find Umpires Interference, but nothing that covers this situation. My question is, did I handle this correctly? What should I have done?
What about the jeopardy rule?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Non-applicable.

The umpires, unlike the defensive players, are part of the field. There are no awards for umpire's obstruction.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
...There are no awards for umpire's obstruction.
Except for the post-game refreshments to his partner!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
BU does a lazy button hook into the infield while watching the ball
I stoppped reading right here. Shame on the umpire, HE SCREWED UP!

There is nothing that can be done in this situation other than apologize and promise to get one's sorry *** back in the game and make every attempt to do a better job.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Non-applicable.
Yeah, but it usualy starts a big discussion.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Too bad, too sad, and uber embarrassing.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Not to appear overbearing, but that is the kind of thought process that needs not ever be considered. The jeopardy rule is quite specific as to what it covers; what call was delayed or reversed, and the delay or reversal put a team in jeopardy??

Simply too many umpires think that the jeopardy rule and "God" rule are meant to serve their sense of fairness. Far from it.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Not to appear overbearing, but that is the kind of thought process that needs not ever be considered. The jeopardy rule is quite specific as to what it covers; what call was delayed or reversed, and the delay or reversal put a team in jeopardy??

Simply too many umpires think that the jeopardy rule and "God" rule are meant to serve their sense of fairness. Far from it.
And I don't, like I said, just trying to foment a discussion, hopefully comments like yours, in a topic that was not to be long.