The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 09, 2011, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Diamond ix3 mask

Anybody use the Diamond ix3 umpire mask that took a hard foul ball to the center of the mask? I used a Honigs K 91 mask for years and just bought the Diamond mask this year. During a high school game on Thursday I took quite a shot to the mask from a foul ball hit from a pitcher that threw extremely hard. I really felt the impact through my jaw bone back to my ears and had quite a headache through late Thursday evening. I never felt this much impact when using my other masks over the years. Just curious if anyone else experienced a problem like this. I really like the light weight and visibility of this mask but not if it doesn't handle impact well.Thanks.

Jeff
Old Sat Apr 09, 2011, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
I just bought one of these in the offseason. I haven't used it yet. If anyone else gives it a poor review here I might return it.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

The "better view" is achieved by flattening the mask profile to bring the bars closer to your face. Yes, you do get a better view, but some have speculated that the flatter profile means a straight on shot will transfer more of the blow to face. The masks with the standard profile have more of a pronounced curve to the bars, which tends to deflect some of the blow, probably causing the mask to "spin" off to the side.

Do you wear your mask with the straps loose or all the way tight? The tighter you have it, the more force will be transfered to the head. If it's looser, the mask will tend to "spin" on impact. A rule of thumb I've always heard is that if you lean forward the mask should come a couple of inches off your chin. When standing upright, the mask is essentially hanging off the bill of your hat.

I've looked at a couple of the newer lightweight masks, but held off from buying one. While the super light weight seems nice, the flat profile kind of scares me off. They also seem to have padding that's nowhere near as beefy as my slightly heavier (but still pretty light) Wilson mask.

Then again, sometimes you're going to get a straight on shot you're going to feel no matter what mask you're wearing!
Old Sun Apr 10, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo99 View Post
...I really felt the impact through my jaw bone back to my ears and had quite a headache through late Thursday evening....
Jeff,

You probably suffered a concussion. Just sayin'...

Signs and symptoms of a concussion by Mayo Clinic staff
Old Sun Apr 10, 2011, 01:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo99 View Post
Anybody use the Diamond ix3 umpire mask that took a hard foul ball to the center of the mask? I used a Honigs K 91 mask for years and just bought the Diamond mask this year. During a high school game on Thursday I took quite a shot to the mask from a foul ball hit from a pitcher that threw extremely hard. I really felt the impact through my jaw bone back to my ears and had quite a headache through late Thursday evening. I never felt this much impact when using my other masks over the years. Just curious if anyone else experienced a problem like this. I really like the light weight and visibility of this mask but not if it doesn't handle impact well.Thanks.

Jeff
Mo:

Both MTD, Jr., and I wear this mask both fastpitch soft ball and baseball and have had no problems with it. But Bret is correct about adjusting the straps of your mask.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 10, 2011, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input guys.I was ready for the next pitch without delay but the effects lasted another inning or so. I have been umpiring many years and that was definitely the hardest shot I took on the mask. I know that mask is highly rated and is used for baseball as well. I will double check the strap adjustment and will give it a go again tomorrow. I think your right Dakota as it might well have been a mild concussion.Thanks again.

Jeff
Old Sun Apr 10, 2011, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have the same mask but replaced the pads with Wilson Suede ones. Several shots later no problems. I never liked Diamond's pads...too flimsey for me.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I use the diamond mask.. with pro nine pads. 2 billion hard shots to the face and still counting.

ok, maybe 9-20... the concussions make me lose count.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

champro magnesium mask is a great mask, lightest on the market. and no bends from direct shots I've gotten so far. model number CM58 w/ mosture wick pads, or CM57 w/ leather pads.

however, I found I had to replace the original champro pads due to the fit.