Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
[I guess I should use the [rant] tag at this point]
A factor why there are so many myths is that some believe that baseball and softball are the same sport. They are NOT the same sport. They have some similarities, and maybe the same objective(s), but they are two independent sports. Why not create a list of ice hockey/field hockey myths? Because they are two separate and independent sports.

Perhaps the biggest fallacy (IMO) is that softball is perceived as "girl's baseball." As many on this site can tell you, softball is played by girls, boys, men, women (and sometimes having both men and women on the field at the same time!) in four varieties of pitching (fast, modified, slow and 16"). It angers me when someone states "why can't softball rules and baseball rules be the same?"
I once shared a elevator ride with MS from NFHS. When she found out where I was from, she said, "Oh, yes. That's where that cute little man who is the Rules Interpreter and keeps asking me why softball can't use the same rules as basebell is from."

I LMAO!

Let me go one better, and this REALLY pisses off the BASEBALL is pure American fanatics. I contend that the game is a derivative of Rounders which has been around since the 16th century in the British Empire.

Even a step further, I contend that anyone who reads up on this game will readily recognize that it more simulates softball than baseball. And another step, slowpitch more than fastpitch.

And while I'm on a role, Abner Doubleday had zero, zip, nil, nada, nothing to do with baseball or its discovery. The baseball folks ripped-off the game they claim to be their own!

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 07:59pm.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2011, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I once shared a elevator ride with MS from NFHS. When she found out where I was from, she said, "Oh, yes. That's where that cute little man who is the Rules Interpreter and keeps asking me why softball can't use the same rules as basebell is from."

I LMAO!

Let me go one better, and this REALLY pisses off the BASEBALL is pure American fanatics. I contend that the game is a derivative of Rounders which has been around since the 16th century in the British Empire.

Even a step further, I contend that anyone who reads up on this game will readily recognize that it more simulates softball than baseball. And another step, slowpitch more than fastpitch.

And while I'm on a role, Abner Doubleday had zero, zip, nil, nada, nothing to do with baseball or its discovery. The baseball folks ripped-off the game they claim to be their own!

cute ? ? ? ? little ? ? ? ? man
Old Fri Apr 08, 2011, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
cute ? ? ? ? little ? ? ? ? man
Yep, her words, not mine. This was before DC took over that position.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2011, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
This was before DC took over that position.
I certainly hope so!

Last edited by CecilOne; Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 12:34pm.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

'Bama vs. UF - Talking Heads

"You can see the base umpire with her hands up, so she called interference"....."but there wasn't any contact"....."Walton wants a 'play on' call"......"this should be a delayed dead ball like an illegal pitch".... Ugh!
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

But.... did YOU HAVE interference on that play?

I've had that before. I think what happens is that you're watching and anticipating the violation. Then you see the contact and lose site of the fact that it's a tag.
A brain cart on the field.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
But.... did YOU HAVE interference on that play?

I've had that before. I think what happens is that you're watching and anticipating the violation. Then you see the contact and lose site of the fact that it's a tag.
A brain cart on the field.
At first, no. Then on the replay, it SS's face seemed somewhat contorted as if shocked to have the runner in front of her. No sure, but it looked as if the tag could have been accidentaly.

However, it is one of those calls that if you hesitate and it is INT, the second guessing begins before the coach gets to the umpire to discuss the call.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Apr 23, 2011 at 08:43pm.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At first, no. Then on the replay, it SS's face seemed somewhat contorted as if shocked to have the runner in front of her. No sure, but it looked as if the tag could have been accidentaly.

However, it is one of those calls that if you hesitate and it is INT, the second guessing begins before the coach gets to the umpire to discuss the call.
I'll buy that - I didn't get that good of a look at the SS on the replays (and crappy screen I have).......
And I will say that she (U1) sure came up with a "no doubt about it" dead ball at the moment it happened.....

I didn't get to see the end of the game (nor did I get to see today's game), but sounds like a bang up ending!