The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 20, 2011, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Uniform colours

Historically, Ontario softball umpires wear the powder blue Softball Canada shirt and navy pants.

This year Slo Pitch Ontario is introducing red and navy uniforms, as well as its own powder blue (no red in the trim), worn with navy pants.

Next year Softball Canada will be introducing red and navy jerseys as well as grey pants.

Do you US umpires have a colour preference?
Old Wed Apr 20, 2011, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60 View Post
Historically, Ontario softball umpires wear the powder blue Softball Canada shirt and navy pants.

This year Slo Pitch Ontario is introducing red and navy uniforms, as well as its own powder blue (no red in the trim), worn with navy pants.

Next year Softball Canada will be introducing red and navy jerseys as well as grey pants.

Do you US umpires have a colour preference?
I do, but many do not agree.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2011, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

I just wish they would pick one and stick to it.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I just wish they would pick one and stick to it.
YES PLEASE !!!!! I will second that motion.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Anything but pink (unless it's something for breast cancer)!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN ASA BLUE View Post
YES PLEASE !!!!! I will second that motion.
Me too! Over here in the Neth.'s we changed about a decade or so from baby blue shirts and navy pants to complete navy. This year however we changed again: black shirts with navy pants (real ugly combination).
Next year we might adjust the pants to black or grey.

Lucky the European federation (ESF) hasn't changed in 10 years! Still baby blue shirts and navy pants. I.m.h.o. the most beautiful combination for an umpire.

7in60; Why was that change necessary in Canada?

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Lucky the European federation (ESF) hasn't changed in 10 years! Still baby blue shirts and navy pants. I.m.h.o. the most beautiful combination for an umpire.
Well, there is one on my side

Quote:
7in60; Why was that change necessary in Canada?
Not speaking for our brethren to the North, but I would think it is to be different or be more stylish, to provide the umpire more options. IMO, an umpire doesn't need to look dapper or be attired in the latest style, just be there doing the job in a simple uniform. Looking cool and hip ain't for **** if you cannot do the job.

We see this in local associations for all levels, including HS & college. And I've never heard, because it works better or is a better product, but have often heard, "they look cool or stylish" or "we'll look smart in these on the field", etc. Locally, I wear what the local assn. designates, but 99% of the time it is the powder over navy ASA uniform.

JMHO
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I'll say it again:

Just to be clear, I am always and strongly opposed to changing uniforms just for a different color, different style, different insignia; when a current uniform component is just fine and not deteriorated.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

But you can sell more shirts when the colors change
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Count me in the minority, I guess. I like having options (assuming your partner has the same thing you do). I like the cream over grey or cream over navy look especially when it's near or over 100 degrees. I like the navy over grey when it's colder. Powder blue over grey is the rule around here, but we are allowed to wear what we like (other than red) provided our partner matches.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

ASA in these parts is light blue over navy- no exceptions and no other options. And, for the guys that do slow pitch, long pants only, no shorts.

High school is navy shirts/grey pants only. The state association changed their logo and that requires mandatory new shirts beginning next year. The cost of buying a shirt with a logo adds about 15 bucks to buying just a plain old shirt. At least they gave us about three years advance notice on this one. They also approved the charcoal grey pants last year- one year after I went out and bought three new pairs of heather!

Individual local leagues...just about anything goes. Guys bring it all and I've worn it all at one time or another- creme, red, black, etc. You should at least match your partner and not look like a bum!

For ASA or high school, I would support having one MANDATORY/DEFAULT uniform color, but allowing other combinations if both umpires match. Probably not going to happen anytime soon...
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

In my association (ASA only), we use powder blue over heather grey for all levels of play, whether it's SP, FP or MP.

We do allow umpires to wear shorts, so we do request that umpires try to coordinate with each other should they make that choice. I switch back to navy pants (with my assignor's permission, of course) if my partner wears the navy shorts.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Me too! Over here in the Neth.'s we changed about a decade or so from baby blue shirts and navy pants to complete navy. This year however we changed again: black shirts with navy pants (real ugly combination).
Next year we might adjust the pants to black or grey.

Black over Navy? Uggh. I agree with you on your assessment.

Powder (baby) blue over Navy? Agree again -- a nice looking combination.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Count me in the minority, I guess. I like having options (assuming your partner has the same thing you do). I like the cream over grey or cream over navy look especially when it's near or over 100 degrees. I like the navy over grey when it's colder. Powder blue over grey is the rule around here, but we are allowed to wear what we like (other than red) provided our partner matches.

I must be in that same minority.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I must be in that same minority.
I know a number of our MN people read this board, so this post may be impolitic, but I'm going to rant anyway.

When I started umpiring, it was "summer" girls fastpitch teams only and everything was ASA. The state ASA association required us to wear their shirts (ASA-like powder blue, but with the state association's logo on them) and heather gray pants, official ASA hats with a "current year registered" iron-on patch on the hat. After a few years of ASA only, I started doing high school ball. Their uniform required powder blue shirts, but with red/white/blue trim and no logos on anything (hat, ball bag, shirt, jacket... no logos). So, I bought new shirts, hats, ball bags and jacket.

Then, politics and power plays started in summer girls ball. First, a number of the local teams/leagues started an organization and affiliated with AFA, and after a couple of years using the high school uniform for AFA, they required that we use THEIR local shirts (ASA-like, but with their logo) and then a year later required we use the AFA shirts (black and gray). AFA promptly folded here due to more politics (involving the same people who started it here in the first place) so I got to use my new AFA shirts for one season. The local group that brought in AFA then started up a female division of the former all-male NAFA and required that we use their shirts and hats. More politics ensued and several leagues / communities went back to ASA and/or went to USSSA (which required red U-trip shirts and U-trip hats).

Understand, I haven't moved; I'm with the same umpire association; the local leagues / towns that I umpire girls fastpitch have not changed, I'm still pretty much calling in the same tournaments, but now to get a decent number of games and to umpire in all of the same tournaments I used to umpire in, I need uniforms for ASA, NAFA, and USSSA, while I have in my closet obsolete uniforms for AFA and the local organization.

Now, the MSHSL (high school) has decided to obsolete the power blue w/red/white/blue trim shirts and go with the power blue with navy/white trim, but no logo (maybe not coincidentally, the same as our local NCAA umpires wear). So, next year, I'll have another set of shirts joining the obsolete stack in my closet.

Now, I decided to call high school ball, so the initial HS uniform is on me. But when the same summer leagues / teams in just a few years time go from ASA to AFA to local to NAFA to NAFA+ASA+USSSA uniforms, all for (as this umpire on the outside looking in sees it) political reasons (not to mention money), and, (perhaps at the request of the NCAA umpires???? - pure speculation there...) the MSHSL changes shirts, it gets old (and expensive). Next year, when the red/white/blue high school shirts are no longer legal, I will have almost as many obsolete shirts in excellent game condition as I will have active shirts... and I would have more except I now need to have 3 completely different shirt / hat sets for the same set of teams and tournaments that used to be covered by one.

Maybe I'm supposed to feel grateful, or at least lucky, they all use heather gray... but that's the ONE thing I wish they would change since heather gray promptly fades to brownish-pink well before the pants themselves become unserviceable.

Options? Spare me.

Last edited by Dakota; Thu Apr 21, 2011 at 01:02pm.