The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Another, 'this doesn't seem right'

More MS ball (different ump from my last thread).

Sitch...

1 Out, R1 on 3rd, R2 on 1st. B4 swings and misses at strike 3, catcher drops the ball. Out of habit, B4 runs to first. R1 attempts to steal at the same time, C tags her out.

Now, here's where it gets interesting... no one notices that's 3 outs. So, now we have R2 standing on 2nd and BR standing on 1st. Pitcher throws at least one (possibly two) pitches to B5.

PA Announcer (who happens to be from defensive team) now asks PU whether that should be three outs. PU & BU confer, then talk to OC. They call 3 outs and end of the inning.

I get that the K happened with 1 out and first base occupied (2nd out) THEN the play at the plate would have been the third out. My question is whether you can "go back in time" after the pitch being delivered to B5.

Again, just trying to learn.

Thanks
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post

Sitch...

1 Out, R1 on 3rd, R2 on 1st. B4 swings and misses at strike 3, catcher drops the ball. Out of habit, B4 runs to first. R1 attempts to steal at the same time, C tags her out.

Now, here's where it gets interesting... no one notices that's 3 outs. So, now we have R2 standing on 2nd and BR standing on 1st. Pitcher throws at least one (possibly two) pitches to B5.

PA Announcer (who happens to be from defensive team) now asks PU whether that should be three outs. PU & BU confer, then talk to OC. They call 3 outs and end of the inning.

I get that the K happened with 1 out and first base occupied (2nd out) THEN the play at the plate would have been the third out. My question is whether you can "go back in time" after the pitch being delivered to B5.

Thanks
Yes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Yes
Why do you always have to give such complicated answers?????

Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:

Sitch...

Thanks
Did they cross the International Date Line??

Seriously, middle school ball?? We have always been told that for what NY calls 'modified' ball - 7th & 8th grade- that the D3K is always a dead ball...but that might be a NY Modification....

PA announcer for middle school ball? Whoa.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't confuse this with an appeal play. By rule, the half inning was over when R1 was tagged. The only way to fix this is to negate everything that happened after this third out.