The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Another, 'this doesn't seem right' (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/65913-another-doesnt-seem-right.html)

SamG Wed Mar 30, 2011 09:32am

Another, 'this doesn't seem right'

More MS ball (different ump from my last thread).

Sitch...

1 Out, R1 on 3rd, R2 on 1st. B4 swings and misses at strike 3, catcher drops the ball. Out of habit, B4 runs to first. R1 attempts to steal at the same time, C tags her out.

Now, here's where it gets interesting... no one notices that's 3 outs. So, now we have R2 standing on 2nd and BR standing on 1st. Pitcher throws at least one (possibly two) pitches to B5.

PA Announcer (who happens to be from defensive team) now asks PU whether that should be three outs. PU & BU confer, then talk to OC. They call 3 outs and end of the inning.

I get that the K happened with 1 out and first base occupied (2nd out) THEN the play at the plate would have been the third out. My question is whether you can "go back in time" after the pitch being delivered to B5.

Again, just trying to learn.

Thanks

CecilOne Wed Mar 30, 2011 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 745196)

Sitch...

1 Out, R1 on 3rd, R2 on 1st. B4 swings and misses at strike 3, catcher drops the ball. Out of habit, B4 runs to first. R1 attempts to steal at the same time, C tags her out.

Now, here's where it gets interesting... no one notices that's 3 outs. So, now we have R2 standing on 2nd and BR standing on 1st. Pitcher throws at least one (possibly two) pitches to B5.

PA Announcer (who happens to be from defensive team) now asks PU whether that should be three outs. PU & BU confer, then talk to OC. They call 3 outs and end of the inning.

I get that the K happened with 1 out and first base occupied (2nd out) THEN the play at the plate would have been the third out. My question is whether you can "go back in time" after the pitch being delivered to B5.

Thanks

Yes

HugoTafurst Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 745199)
Yes

Why do you always have to give such complicated answers?????

:eek::eek::eek:

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30pm

Quote:

Sitch...

Thanks

Did they cross the International Date Line??

Seriously, middle school ball?? We have always been told that for what NY calls 'modified' ball - 7th & 8th grade- that the D3K is always a dead ball...but that might be a NY Modification....

PA announcer for middle school ball? Whoa.

celebur Wed Mar 30, 2011 01:30pm

Quote:

Don't confuse this with an appeal play. By rule, the half inning was over when R1 was tagged. The only way to fix this is to negate everything that happened after this third out.