LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

"my time"

"[I]MY TIME"[I]

WTF is MY time?

Is that as opposed to YOUR time?

(Sorry it just annoys me.......)

Happened Thursday evening.... at first I was going to cut the guy some slack...... but then I noticed he called MY time EVERYtime. Even when a coach or player asked for time.

Then I got another partner this weekend who used the same expression......

I know, no big deal, but it annoys me....
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Good candidate for the TV show "Lie To Me".
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

My question to those using that phrase would be: "overcompensate much?"

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
All "times" are mine.

But I guess it distinguishes who requested the time out if for umpiring purposes.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
"[i]MY TIME"[i]

WTF is MY time?

Is that as opposed to YOUR time?

(Sorry it just annoys me.......)

Happened Thursday evening.... at first I was going to cut the guy some slack...... but then I noticed he called MY time EVERYtime. Even when a coach or player asked for time.

Then I got another partner this weekend who used the same expression......

So, when someone tells you, "that isn't happening in MY game" how to you feel?

That is my pet peeve.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
All "times" are mine.

But I guess it distinguishes who requested the time out if for umpiring purposes.
Doesn't matter who requests time. The umpire is the only one who grants time.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

"My time" is not annoying to me because to me it means that the umpire is calling time without the request from either the offense or the defense. I am not saying that I call it that way, but it is reasonable to eliminate the need to explain which team is being charged a conference. I'd file it under preventive umpiring. Is it necessary? No.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
"My time" is not annoying to me because to me it means that the umpire is calling time without the request from either the offense or the defense. I am not saying that I call it that way, but it is reasonable to eliminate the need to explain which team is being charged a conference. I'd file it under preventive umpiring. Is it necessary? No.
I think that is the thinking and I think it comes from some other sports.
That is what is annoying to me.

BTW, did you notice that the guy I was talking about used the phrase even when a coach or player asked for time.
I guess I wasn't clear, but he did this even when a coach was requesting a (charged) conference....

As far as preventive umpiring - I'm thinking that's a stretch.... but to each his own...

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 08:46pm.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So, when someone tells you, "that isn't happening in MY game" how to you feel?

That is my pet peeve.
That's on MY list too.
But only when it happens on MY field.

(edited to add):
In the interest of full disclosure, I'll bet I've used that phrase before (probably in response to some coach who was arguing that all the other umpires let him sit on a bucket on the field), but it annoys me even when I do it!.
I think I've kicked the habit, but sometimes my evil twin takes over.

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 06:11am. Reason: full disclosure
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
I actually go a step further here and file it as going well beyond preventative umpiring. If I'm calling time, it's always for a valid reason - I'm either calling it by rule, mechanic, by request, or I'm calling it because conditions justify calling time (which is, again, supported by rule).

If a coach believes I'm going to call time just to screw them out of a charged conference, they need their head checked, and putting the word "my" in front of "time" isn't going to get them a better grip upon reality.

Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

I believe this comes from basketball where is is very important who calls each timeout.

I don't like it. One of the things that is often misunderstood is that coaches and players my request time, but that it's possible that it may not be granted. The phrase "my time" implies that someone other then the umpire can stop play.

Maybe the umpires who use "my time" work in sports where it is a normal phrase. If they do, they should leave the mechanics of that sport behind when doing softball. They may feel that they are clarifying something to the participants. It's unnecessary. It makes for inconsistent mechanics for some umpires to use it and others not. It's not quite as annoying as a plate umpire wearing his/her hat backwards, but it is annoying.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
I believe this comes from basketball where is is very important who calls each timeout.

I don't like it. One of the things that is often misunderstood is that coaches and players my request time, but that it's possible that it may not be granted. The phrase "my time" implies that someone other then the umpire can stop play.

Maybe the umpires who use "my time" work in sports where it is a normal phrase. If they do, they should leave the mechanics of that sport behind when doing softball. They may feel that they are clarifying something to the participants. It's unnecessary. It makes for inconsistent mechanics for some umpires to use it and others not. It's not quite as annoying as a plate umpire wearing his/her hat backwards, but it is annoying.
agree
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
BTW, did you notice that the guy I was talking about used the phrase even when a coach or player asked for time.
I guess I wasn't clear, but he did this even when a coach was requesting a (charged) conference....
No, I didn't. That does change my perspective.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Doesn't matter who requests time. The umpire is the only one who grants time.
Of course. I was referring to communication, not rule.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Not from basketball.

Coach/Player request - whistle with open hand up - look to coach to see whether they want full or 30 - look at table - "HC red full timeout - start the clock"

I've never heard "my time" on the court.