The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Fazakerley
Unhappy

The I.S.F is trying to keep softball in the olympics & hopefully they will succeed in their mission.

I'm very unhappy that the IOC are considering this move & the will see that softball is one of the most exciting games in the world.

If they see the men & women play in the olympics, then hopefully they will change their minds.

They should come to New Zealand in 2004, for the Mens World Softball Championships in Christchurch & see the excitement of the crowd & the passion of all the players from every nation,& see how determined they are to not only to keep softball in the olympics, but to promote our sport world-wide & attract other people to try softball in their respective countries.

HAVE YOUR SAY!!
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

I think most of us have voted on the Olympic Site to keep Softball.
Heck, I've seen great passion from 14U girls!! The IOC sadly, doesn't have a clue. Remember what Samarind said about the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. "Oh, it was adequate"
Give me a break!!!

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I have already voiced my opinion on this subject anywhere that I thought that it would have an impact. My fingers are nothing but nubbins from all the typing!

Scott
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't waste my time or fingers.

Do you honestly believe this issue has anything to do with what the people or participants want?

This is money and politics. ISF has over 160 members and if that is not enough weight on the IOC to keep the sport in the Olympics, e-mails and letters are not going to matter.

JMHO,

Mike
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

You may have a point Mike, but I am not one to sit idly by if I think that an action taken may have even the slightest of impact. Yeah...I am one of those folks that write my congressmen and representatives too. Sometimes merely the act of doing something along these lines is a catharsis.

Scott
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
You may have a point Mike, but I am not one to sit idly by if I think that an action taken may have even the slightest of impact. Yeah...I am one of those folks that write my congressmen and representatives too. Sometimes merely the act of doing something along these lines is a catharsis.

Scott
And I admire folks which do such things. I've had people recognize me by name because of some of my Letter To The Editor in the local Gannett paper.

I'm not discounting anyones attempt to help, after all, it cannot hurt.

Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

A German view

I can totally agree to your exitement, but here in Germany most people would want Softball (and Baseball) to be kicked out! I know that a lot of people here don't even know the sport but they don't care. They argue that it is only played in the US, not seeing that in many parts of the world, Softball is highly played.
But from a european view, most people don't know the sport. That doesn't mean that the people here don't spend time and effort, but it is really hard here to get it going.

I guess that is also part of the reason, why the diskussion is going the way it goes! Its said, but as long as they don't put it on TV here people will not understand! From last Olympics they kicked the final out of scedule for some first round elimination in track I think. But it was not for a mayor final.
That's how it is here. And most girls will not have any spark in their eyes when they here Lisa Fernandes, or that they can play Softball at school.

But of course most of us here voted to keep it and wrote letters.

I keep my fingers crossed for OUR sport.

Raoul
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: A German view

Quote:
Originally posted by mach3
I can totally agree to your exitement, but here in Germany most people would want Softball (and Baseball) to be kicked out! I know that a lot of people here don't even know the sport but they don't care. They argue that it is only played in the US, not seeing that in many parts of the world, Softball is highly played.
But from a european view, most people don't know the sport. That doesn't mean that the people here don't spend time and effort, but it is really hard here to get it going.

I guess that is also part of the reason, why the diskussion is going the way it goes! Its said, but as long as they don't put it on TV here people will not understand! From last Olympics they kicked the final out of scedule for some first round elimination in track I think. But it was not for a mayor final.

Raoul
Unfortunately they intend to replace it with GOLF. Now GOLF is a great sport, but I doubt that the best players in the world would compete if it was included in the Olympics. If the best in the world do not compete then what is the point?