The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   3n2 mid plate shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/64103-3n2-mid-plate-shoes.html)

agr8zebra Sun Apr 10, 2011 08:13pm

I bought a pair earlier this spring, I have taken them to a shoe repair guy to have extra leather sown over the top two eyelets as I have torn the eyelets out on each side. Might be me from wanting my shoes on tight. They are light, the shine up great with leather luster, and I have taken some pitches of them and am still doing great. I wear a 9 and bought a 9.

CajunNewBlue Mon Apr 11, 2011 08:29am

Ok.. took a pitch directly to the front of shoe (where the steel toe should be).... ummm.. OUCH!
Pitcher couldnt find the strike zone.. but managed to hit me on that 1"x1" spot and dont get me started on the catcher...

It didnt deform the shoe and no visible damage to the shoe itself.... but it didnt protect the delicates inside.

(yes, i wept like a child and limped off the field... never to be seen again.)

ok, not really...
But darnit!... it hurt like a @#!#%@#

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 11, 2011 09:04am

Steel toe wouldn't have protected any more than the hardened plastic some shoes use. Bottom line, when it is hit at the perfect angle, the impact drives whatever is there into your toe. The hard material keeps the ball from hitting you, but there isn't anything that can keep that from being driven into your toe.

CajunNewBlue Mon Apr 11, 2011 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 748942)
Steel toe wouldn't have protected any more than the hardened plastic some shoes use. Bottom line, when it is hit at the perfect angle, the impact drives whatever is there into your toe. The hard material keeps the ball from hitting you, but there isn't anything that can keep that from being driven into your toe.

never hurt before.... although i was wearing 200lb +POS diver dan plate shoes.

Think they knew that POS means something totally different on the streets.. when they picked that name?

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 748948)
never hurt before.... although i was wearing 200lb +POS diver dan plate shoes.

Think they knew that POS means something totally different on the streets.. when they picked that name?

So that's the only possible trade-off; if they put in something big enough not to be moved by the impact of the ball, the shoe gets very heavy. The toe guards are designed to protect from a ball coming straight down, the normal foul ball. But if the ball comes straight at it from ground level, as can occasionally happen, the toe guard will be driven back into your big toe.

CajunNewBlue Mon Apr 11, 2011 02:03pm

welp, all that being said.... i'm not going back...I love my 3n2's

agr8zebra Mon Apr 11, 2011 08:28pm

I personally think the

3N2 Pro Turf Trainer Lo - Softball Shoes

would make a good looking base shoe.

What do you guys/gals think?

CajunNewBlue Thu Apr 14, 2011 08:16am

I would so love to have to clean every nook and crany of those shoes tween every game ...
pass.....

Dakota Thu Apr 14, 2011 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 750272)
I would so love to have to clean every nook and crany of those shoes tween every game ...
pass.....

Two words... scrubbing bubbles! :)

agr8zebra Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44am

I too have use scrubbing Bubbles, But I would also highly recommend Scrub Free by Arm & Hammer. Either one, Take off your Shoes, Spray them down, and come back in 10 minutes and they are pretty darn clean. Really it works.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59am

You guys are talking bathroom cleaner here?

I have heard, also in this forum, about some other cleaner. Perhaps it was more to shine than clean. Anyone remember?

Thanx.

shagpal Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:20pm

it was posted on another forum, but was mentioned using scrubbing bubbles to clean, and using hair spray (yes, hair spray) to finish it off to shine, no buffing, just let dry, and hair spray dries quick. dollar store bubbles & hair spray would do it cheap.

@ the 99 cent only store, there is a sneaker cleaning gel that I use. it applies on with an included brush on the tip, and just wipe off. less than a dollar a tube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 750313)
You guys are talking bathroom cleaner here?

I have heard, also in this forum, about some other cleaner. Perhaps it was more to shine than clean. Anyone remember?

Thanx.

Rachel Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:28pm

I have a spray bottle with water and a little Dawn dishwashing liquid. Shines the shoes right up. Wash it down with a microfiber cloth and you are good to go. Saves on the Targent shoe polish. I only have to polish about every third game.

I have both the plate and base 3 n 2 shoe. Love em.

shagpal Sat Apr 16, 2011 01:49am

someone on fleabay is auctioning these cheap.

backpack123456 | eBay

blue Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 748989)
So that's the only possible trade-off; if they put in something big enough not to be moved by the impact of the ball, the shoe gets very heavy. The toe guards are designed to protect from a ball coming straight down, the normal foul ball. But if the ball comes straight at it from ground level, as can occasionally happen, the toe guard will be driven back into your big toe.

I took a shot on my toe the other day. It was a sinking fastball, in ASA 10U, but she throws hard. I thought I got shot in my big toe. I bought my 3N2 shoes in the regular size, but wide. I'm thinking I should have went 1/2 size larger.