The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   3n2 mid plate shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/64103-3n2-mid-plate-shoes.html)

CajunNewBlue Fri Mar 04, 2011 04:55pm

3n2 mid plate shoes

Got a pair this year.... omg!!! how did i ever call a ball or a strike without these... (appearantly, not well... according to the crowd :rolleyes: )

no one asked but.. darn it... they some good shoes!! :D

Duke Fri Mar 04, 2011 07:35pm

Just was looking at these online and came here to see if anyone had an opinion on these. Guess you do..... What about sizing? Did you get your normal size as your other plate shoes? Where did you buy yours?

shagpal Sat Mar 05, 2011 03:22am

on plate shoes, half sizing up is always wise because the protective toe box narrows the fit. also, the boombah, elite, and 3N2 "mid" cut tend to fit smaller, at least that is my personal experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke (Post 736685)
Just was looking at these online and came here to see if anyone had an opinion on these. Guess you do..... What about sizing? Did you get your normal size as your other plate shoes? Where did you buy yours?

CajunNewBlue Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:19am

yes, half size up... and i got the widest available... think i bought them from "between the lines" as they had lowest shipping (at the time) and lowest price. total spent $93'ish

CecilOne Sat Mar 05, 2011 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 736736)
on plate shoes, half sizing up is always wise because the protective toe box narrows the fit. also, the boombah, elite, and 3N2 "mid" cut tend to fit smaller, at least that is my personal experience.

Are you saying 1/2 size up for 3N2 from my other plate shoes, or just 1/2 size up from dress shoes? My other plate shoes are 1/2 size up from dress shoes, also some of by base shoes.

CajunNewBlue Sat Mar 05, 2011 07:08pm

1/2 size up from your actual foot size

shagpal Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:13pm

buy a half size up from your normal size you wear, the normal US size.

if your foot is a bit on the chunky side, I'd consider buying the wide size as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 736844)
Are you saying 1/2 size up for 3N2 from my other plate shoes, or just 1/2 size up from dress shoes? My other plate shoes are 1/2 size up from dress shoes, also some of by base shoes.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Mar 06, 2011 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 736657)
Got a pair this year.... omg!!! how did i ever call a ball or a strike without these... (appearantly, not well... according to the crowd :rolleyes: )

I'm sort of curious how you did it from mid plate? :D

CajunNewBlue Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:02pm

lol

larryw Tue Mar 08, 2011 01:54pm

I just bought a new pair of 3N2 plate shoes, and they fit better than any other shoe I've worn. There is a shoe blog at ump-attire.com explaining the sizes. They recommend buying 1/2 size up if you get normal D width, as in the New Balance plate shoes. They recommend normal sizing if you get the EE width. I puchased the EE width, using my normal size, and they fit great.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Mar 08, 2011 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 737222)
lol

BTW, will be in NOLA for FQ Festival in three weeks. Cannot wait to get back there for some of the best home grown music in the country, if not the world.

Just spent last Friday night with the Soul Rebels Brass Band. Great times.

argodad Wed Apr 06, 2011 08:34pm

Cajun,

Thanks for starting this thread. Just received my 3n2 plate shoes. My very old, very heavy +POS shoes had to go. I got the low-cut version. (It's hard enough to get a running shoe on my prosthetic foot, so I stick with the lower version.) Ordered my normal size 13, but in EE width. Fits great and feels great! Can't wait to give them a try tomorrow. :cool:

kleeds Thu Apr 07, 2011 09:22am

I have the 3 and 2 base shoes and they are very comfortable and I highly reccommend them.

I also have the New Balance plate shoes and really enjoy wearing them, Everyone is right in plate shoes make sure you go up at least half is not a full size. You can always wear a thicker or double sock if the shoe is a smidge big.

dilligaf Thu Apr 07, 2011 04:46pm

The 3N2 low rise plate shoes are great as well. They are very light and very very comfortable. The concerns some have stated about the toe not being steel are unfounded. The material that the to is made of is rock hard and takes direct hits very well. I bout the 1/2 size larger and the fit is perfect.

I also have the New Balance high tops and I prefer the 3N to those. The only issue is that it has not improve my strike zone. I had several parents tell me I was squeezing the pitcher. Bit man, my feet fell great.....LOL:D

Multiple Sports Fri Apr 08, 2011 03:51pm

Officially Sports in Pittsburgh (formerly Purchse Officials Supplies), I believe offers a 10% discount if you buy both plate and base. The base shoe also works well if you do football ........................

agr8zebra Sun Apr 10, 2011 08:13pm

I bought a pair earlier this spring, I have taken them to a shoe repair guy to have extra leather sown over the top two eyelets as I have torn the eyelets out on each side. Might be me from wanting my shoes on tight. They are light, the shine up great with leather luster, and I have taken some pitches of them and am still doing great. I wear a 9 and bought a 9.

CajunNewBlue Mon Apr 11, 2011 08:29am

Ok.. took a pitch directly to the front of shoe (where the steel toe should be).... ummm.. OUCH!
Pitcher couldnt find the strike zone.. but managed to hit me on that 1"x1" spot and dont get me started on the catcher...

It didnt deform the shoe and no visible damage to the shoe itself.... but it didnt protect the delicates inside.

(yes, i wept like a child and limped off the field... never to be seen again.)

ok, not really...
But darnit!... it hurt like a @#!#%@#

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 11, 2011 09:04am

Steel toe wouldn't have protected any more than the hardened plastic some shoes use. Bottom line, when it is hit at the perfect angle, the impact drives whatever is there into your toe. The hard material keeps the ball from hitting you, but there isn't anything that can keep that from being driven into your toe.

CajunNewBlue Mon Apr 11, 2011 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 748942)
Steel toe wouldn't have protected any more than the hardened plastic some shoes use. Bottom line, when it is hit at the perfect angle, the impact drives whatever is there into your toe. The hard material keeps the ball from hitting you, but there isn't anything that can keep that from being driven into your toe.

never hurt before.... although i was wearing 200lb +POS diver dan plate shoes.

Think they knew that POS means something totally different on the streets.. when they picked that name?

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 748948)
never hurt before.... although i was wearing 200lb +POS diver dan plate shoes.

Think they knew that POS means something totally different on the streets.. when they picked that name?

So that's the only possible trade-off; if they put in something big enough not to be moved by the impact of the ball, the shoe gets very heavy. The toe guards are designed to protect from a ball coming straight down, the normal foul ball. But if the ball comes straight at it from ground level, as can occasionally happen, the toe guard will be driven back into your big toe.

CajunNewBlue Mon Apr 11, 2011 02:03pm

welp, all that being said.... i'm not going back...I love my 3n2's

agr8zebra Mon Apr 11, 2011 08:28pm

I personally think the

3N2 Pro Turf Trainer Lo - Softball Shoes

would make a good looking base shoe.

What do you guys/gals think?

CajunNewBlue Thu Apr 14, 2011 08:16am

I would so love to have to clean every nook and crany of those shoes tween every game ...
pass.....

Dakota Thu Apr 14, 2011 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 750272)
I would so love to have to clean every nook and crany of those shoes tween every game ...
pass.....

Two words... scrubbing bubbles! :)

agr8zebra Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44am

I too have use scrubbing Bubbles, But I would also highly recommend Scrub Free by Arm & Hammer. Either one, Take off your Shoes, Spray them down, and come back in 10 minutes and they are pretty darn clean. Really it works.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59am

You guys are talking bathroom cleaner here?

I have heard, also in this forum, about some other cleaner. Perhaps it was more to shine than clean. Anyone remember?

Thanx.

shagpal Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:20pm

it was posted on another forum, but was mentioned using scrubbing bubbles to clean, and using hair spray (yes, hair spray) to finish it off to shine, no buffing, just let dry, and hair spray dries quick. dollar store bubbles & hair spray would do it cheap.

@ the 99 cent only store, there is a sneaker cleaning gel that I use. it applies on with an included brush on the tip, and just wipe off. less than a dollar a tube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 750313)
You guys are talking bathroom cleaner here?

I have heard, also in this forum, about some other cleaner. Perhaps it was more to shine than clean. Anyone remember?

Thanx.

Rachel Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:28pm

I have a spray bottle with water and a little Dawn dishwashing liquid. Shines the shoes right up. Wash it down with a microfiber cloth and you are good to go. Saves on the Targent shoe polish. I only have to polish about every third game.

I have both the plate and base 3 n 2 shoe. Love em.

shagpal Sat Apr 16, 2011 01:49am

someone on fleabay is auctioning these cheap.

backpack123456 | eBay

blue Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 748989)
So that's the only possible trade-off; if they put in something big enough not to be moved by the impact of the ball, the shoe gets very heavy. The toe guards are designed to protect from a ball coming straight down, the normal foul ball. But if the ball comes straight at it from ground level, as can occasionally happen, the toe guard will be driven back into your big toe.

I took a shot on my toe the other day. It was a sinking fastball, in ASA 10U, but she throws hard. I thought I got shot in my big toe. I bought my 3N2 shoes in the regular size, but wide. I'm thinking I should have went 1/2 size larger.

shagpal Wed Apr 20, 2011 03:14pm

New Balance N450

for anyone preferring a more heavy duty plate shoe, honigs has a sale on the new balance plate shoes.

Honig's Whistle Stop - 450 - NEW BALANCE MID-CUT PLATE SHOE REG (D) WIDTH

umpirebob71 Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:53pm

At that price, I had to buy a pair.

ntxblue Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:33am

How is the sizing on the NB shoes? Have you ordered your "regular" size or do you order 1/2 size larger?

umpirebob71 Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:32am

I always order a half size up. If they're a little loose, I can put on two pairs of socks. If they come too tight...

HugoTafurst Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:16am

After a little bit of trouble getting the order straight :-( , my 3n2 plate shoes (low) arrivedI ended up with a full size bigger than my normal shoe and an EE (normal - dddd).

Worth the wait.

I love em.

DaveASA/FED Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:03pm

I love mine too. Got them late last season and have gotten more use out of them this year love them! Just ordered me a pair of 3N2 base shoes, should be in today!! Hope they fit and feel as good as my plate pair does!

Dakota Fri Jun 10, 2011 01:44am

reported

CecilOne Mon Jun 13, 2011 07:34am

reported again

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 13, 2011 07:32pm

Can someone please tell me why anyone would buy, let alone make a shoe for standing in the middle of the plate?

Dakota Mon Jun 13, 2011 09:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 765386)
Can someone please tell me why anyone would buy, let alone make a shoe for standing in the middle of the plate?

I am glad the spammer bumped this thread to the top, otherwise we would've missed out on that joke! :cool:

CecilOne Tue Jun 14, 2011 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 765399)
I am glad the spammer bumped this thread to the top, otherwise we would've missed out on that joke! :cool:

What joke ? ;) :p :rolleyes:

CecilOne Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 736844)

For future reference, I wish I had ordered the 3N2 plate shoes a full size up from dress shoes, which would be a 1/2 size up from my Riddells. :(

But, great comfort, 2 games the first day with no pain. :)

shagpal Tue Jul 26, 2011 01:10pm

the foam on the top plate started separating from the leather. I called, emailed pics of the separation, and they sent me a new pair.

they got great customer service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 774855)
For future reference, I wish I had ordered the 3N2 plate shoes a full size up from dress shoes, which would be a 1/2 size up from my Riddells. :(

But, great comfort, 2 games the first day with no pain. :)

CecilOne Sun Aug 21, 2011 06:49am

reported that one too

Tru_in_Blu Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:35am

Jeez... If a train leaves Seattle @ 9:42 AM....

ASABLUE Sat Jun 09, 2012 07:52pm

Hurt my toe

That non steel toe was not effective for me,
My New Balance protects better.
Anyone want to buy my 3n2's?