The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

What's the best or funniest ejection you have seen by an umpire?

The best I saw was men's class A slowpitch. Pitcher is tossing the ball about 20 feet in the air and umpire is calling them all illegal. He calls about 10 pitches in a row illegal, after ever pitch the pitcher has a comment for the umpire. Finally, the ump has had enough and tells the pitcher that's he's sick of hearing him and that if he says one more word he's gone. The pitcher says "alright" The blue says "That's it, you're gone!"

The best part was that it was the last game at the complex so all of us other blues are there watching him and we are all rolling in stands laughing at him.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Area UIC at a City Picnic tourney............pure fun and money..........dream assignment..........but by ASA rules...........grin

He was told to take it easy by the assignor.............

Team he was calling pushed his limit and he ejected a player (for kicking dirt on his shoes)............

Friend comes out to plead his buddy's case and the discussion gets a tad heated.............

UIC tells buddy..........."you two must be riding together".........refering to his ejected friend......

Buddy says..............."HUH"...........

UIC says........with the big finger........"because you're gone too........."

Not an ejection.......but I did see the local HS and SP assignor do this in an 18U game I called with him once.........

Banger at 1st...........he sells a safe call.............

1st base coach asks "How can you call that safe?".........

Without missing a beat.............he says.........."Easy coach........SAFE (selling it)"..........

Then he says......."Wanna see it again? SAFE (again selling it)"..........

The coach never said another word to him.............and I had a good chuckle............

Joel

Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Not really an ejection....but 2 funny stories

Here we go....Mens Class A Fastpitch.....4th of July Tournament. The wife has the bases on a 3 person crew, I am in the stands watching. A fairly good game, between 2 hot headed, whining, complain about everything teams. The wife has a cluster in front of her that goes against team a.

Team A's manager, whom we know quite well, comes running out on the field. I watch him do the head bob thing and he is hot. I watch my wife give him "The Look" and I am think "Oh Yeah....She's gonna jack him".

Anyway, I see her say something to the manager, watched his face lose all expression, and he turns and sprints off the field.

After the game, I asked what she said. She replied "Coach, I am going to give you the count of 5 to get off my diamond......I'm starting at 4."

2nd story.....

We are both working a fall college tournament when a Jr. College Coach earns an ejection from the wife.

Later that day, the same coach starts to get in my face. Finally, as he loses breath, I said...."Coach, did you enjoy the view from the parking lot this morning?". He said "How did you know about that?", I replied "Well my WIFE mentioned in passing that she threw a you out this morning and I thought that maybe you enjoyed that view."

The coach then replied "That was your wife???" and I said "Yes, I would advise you to return to your dugout and keep quite. We tend to react the same way to situations".

He put his head down, walked to the dugout and didn't say anything else the rest of the game.

Later during the day, our assigner said to this coach"I heard you had some trouble with my umpires". The coach said "Yes....I lost....No doubt who was in charge of these games....You need to warn us about husband and wife combinations...That was not fair!!!!". Our assigner walks off smiling

Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Another good one.

Church league game and the blue working this game is kinda on his last chance. He wasn't very good and had been booted out of every league and this was his last shot.

Anyway, guy at second, batter hits a base hit to left. The runner turns third and tries to score, left fielder throws a stike home, catcher gets it, tags the runner in the stomach about two-thirds of the way home. The runner is hit so hard by the tag that he doubles over and rols onto home plate. Umpire yells "SAFE!" The catcher goes after him right away. Boom, ejected. then the manager runs out, boom ejected. Then the pitcher, boom ejected. This continues until the whole team is ejected, one by one, calls a forfeit and walks off the field.

Needless to say, said blue never worked another game.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Stupid Ejection

I am working the Class A Mens State losers bracket....When you lose, your season is over....See you next year.

I've got the bases and the HOME team is winning 6-2 bottom of 6(This fact is important). The HOME team 1st basemen hits a shot that bounces over a temp fence that the centerfielder was laying on.

I glance back at the plate and he is signaling Ground Rule Double. I agree and tell the player "Hey Ground Rule Double stay at 2nd please". Remember his team is WINNING 6-2 bottom of 6.

His face gets beat red and screams at the top of his lungs "Your F@#(*$&(*& @#(&$ #*&$ Kidding me". Needless to say he gets the BIG heave ho. Next thing I know I have the other manager yipping in my ear and jumping up and down like a overly hyper miniture poodle(Nothing against poodles, we own 2).

To make a long story short, the home team was out of players. You can not finish with 8 after an ejection. The home team who was 3 outs away from advancing had to forfeit. To bad, see you next year.

The cool thing was that not one player on the losing team said anything to me.....They were to pissed at their teammate.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Stupid Ejection

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps

I glance back at the plate and he is signaling Ground Rule Double. I agree and tell the player "Hey Ground Rule Double stay at 2nd please". Remember his team is WINNING 6-2 bottom of 6.

His face gets beat red and screams at the top of his lungs "Your F@#(*$&(*& @#(&$ #*&$ Kidding me".
But you said "please"?

My easiest was in Plant City last July. I'm on the plate, runner on 2B with two outs. A batter from Great Britain pops up and lifts the bat above his head. Anticipating his actions, I stepped toward him and said, "Don't do it!" just loud enough for him and the catcher to hear me.

Sure enough, he whips the bat underhanded toward the backstop. Two points here. One, I have a policy on throwing the bat. If it hits the ground first and not near anyone, I'll offer a warning loud enough for the team to hear. If it lands near a person or hits the fence or anything other than the ground, the batter is done.
Second, the backstops at this complex are about 25-30 feet from the lines and the batter was about three steps toward 1B already.

So this bat never gets waist-high and rattles the backstop in the air. I calmly told him when the play is over, he is was done. The ball is caught by the SS from one of the Bahama teams.

As the manager (coaching 1B) heads toward the dugout, I inform him of the ejection and that I needed a substitute. He smiled and said, "Thank you, very much, sir. I'll have you one shortly." Nice as could be, the batter, nor anyone else, said word one to me.

When I received the sub, I walked over to the scorer and informed him that the one guy was ejected and offered the replacement.

About an inning later, my partner asked me what the scorekeeper had to say and I said nothing. He says how can he have nothing to say when you were over there last inning talking to him. Told my partner that I had to give him the substitute for the player I ejected. He goes, "You ejected someone? Where was I?"

It turns out that the only folks who knew I ejected the guy was him, his coach, the scorekeeper and myself.

Now, if they could all be like that!
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking How about this one

Runner on 1B when a pitched ball gets passed catcher. The catcher runs back to retrieve the ball but he only manages to kick it back towards me. When he grabs the ball he yells at me for getting in his way. I didn't consider it very serious, he was obviously distressed at allowing the runner an easy base. I said to him "you need to settle down a bit". To that he replied "OH great!" and walked off towards the dugout. The coach came out and gave me a substitute and the game continued.

After the game the coach asked me if I would be submitting a report about the ejection. He looked a little puzzled when I replied that nobody was ejected.

It seems that everyone except me thought that I had ejected him.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Here's mine....

Regular league night, co-ed game. Regulation games last 1 hr and 15 minutes. When time is up, the inning is finished and the game is over. If there is 1 minute left, you start the next inning. Of course, umpires don't wear watches, so it is our score keeper's responsibility to watch the time.

I had to call a game due to the time limit. Home team won the game. Basically, right when the home team pulled ahead, the game was over as we reached the time limit and there was no reason to continue, so being the home plate ump, I called the game.

Well, a guy from the visiting team was not happy with that at all. My ump partner (another lady) and I left the field and went to the other side of the fence. This guy threw a ball directly at my head--hit the fence at the same heighth where my head was. I looked him dead square in the eyes and said "you're out". His female coach then came up to my umping partner, and had a few choice four letter words for her umping performance. My partner didn't miss a beat, and tossed her, too. Since the game was already over, both of these players had to miss the following week.

The guy who threw the ball at me calmed down and apologized. It was the second week of the season, and I think it was the first ejection for the season, too. It gave me a good reputation with the other umpires that I don't take any crap!

When I told my hubby that story, after I told him about the guy throwing the ball at me, the only thing he asked me was "did you hurt him?".--I guess hubby knows I can take care of myself!

Diana

Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

My first ejection, early in my second season of umpiring, wasn't particularly funny but it was quick. An assistant coach/father of the girl batting complained about a strike called on his daughter, who was at bat. When he persisted, I turned and politely but firmly told him "That's enought." To which he responded "So throw me out." "Okay," I responded. "You're out of here."

My funniest incident was a non-ejection. I was working a doubleheader in a rec league in which I also head a youth softball association. Before the first game, as we were trying to insure that the field, which had recently been hit by rain, was playable, I could just tell that I would have a problem with one of the coaches. To my surprise, absolutely nothing happened during the two games. In fact, as I drove home I began to draw doubts about my ability to judge character, which had been pretty accurate when it came to coaches up to that point. About a week later at a league board meeting, the coach of the other team, who is also on the board, made mention of the game and my work during some idle conversation. Then she pointed out: "That coach is a screamer. I had problems with him in soccer. So before the game, after you had arrived at the field, I mentioned to him "We're in trouble tonight. This ump likes to toss people'." It was a great ploy on her part, from both a coaching and umpiring standpoint.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Men's C Nationals FP, 2001
Went to take a drink of water between innings and noticed a player walking in the dugout with a cup of 'yellow liquid'. I told him that had better be 'pee-pee' in the cup and he smirked, "naw, blue - it's BEER!" - not too swift....gonzo...
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Several seasons ago, my partner tossed an irate base coach in a 16&U bracket game. He went storming off the field and left the complex with tires spinning & all. He returned to the complex and sat at another field (at least 100 yds away), but was clearly watching the game his daughter's team was playing. Turns out that his daughter noticed he was there. Once she was replaced in the game (her coach was planning the have her re-enter), she went over to see her father. The father saw that I noticed this and was trying to wave her off as she approached. She went to him anyway & he saw that I noticed. Since she was out of the game, I went to her coach at the next inning break and told him that this player was not to come back into the game since she had spent time with an ejected coach. He agreed and she didn't come back into the game.

After the game, this ejected coach wanted to talk. Normally I wouldn't have spoken with him about history, since I was also the uic, I felt I had to listen to him. He understood & agreed with the ejection......
His daughter came to me shortly after that and asked why she was not allowed to re-enter. After I explained it to her, she said "OK, Can I say I was ejected too. That will make it sound like I'm tough".
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Geez - all these great stories. All I ever get are Little League coaches that throw rocks at the backstop and tell their teams I have a vendetta against them.

-Kono
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Yeah, they probably miss the backstop on the throw and blame it on you.... been there...
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hiump33
Yeah, they probably miss the backstop on the throw and blame it on you.... been there...
Nope - his problem was that his aim was too good. He hit the metal upright and it sang.

He was upset because I had just removed his pitcher from the game for throwing (more like launching) the bat a second time - Warned her the 1st time, removed her the 2nd time. They wanted to protest, so I was making sure that both books agreed. I actually had my back turned to him, but when I heard it, I asked if he threw it and he said yes (at least he was honest about it).

That was the 1st time anyone has ever been ejected from the softball field in our league. Can't say I was particularly happy about being part of it, but it needed to be done.

-Kono
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of years back, had been doing a lot of baseball but was working my first fastpitch game of the season.... it was probably three weeks into their softball season.

Probably the second batter, the pitch comes in a little up but within what I felt was a proper zone... STRIKE. Coach looks a little disconcerted.... a little later another STRIKE at the top of the zone.

Coach is up on this one and yells loud enough for both teams and all of the fans setting behind me to hear, "Hey, let's call 'em both ways!"

Didn't have to think but a split second and responded "Well coach, when we get to the bottom of the FIRST INNING you'll see that I do call them both ways." There were several snickers but a general dead silence.

He hung his head and didn't look at me or say another word for the rest of the game. That's better than an ejection!