The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

important interpretation - SP

At a clinic yesterday, I learned that when the umpire judges a pitch (sp) to have excessive speed, the umpire is to declare a dead ball immediately. I wondered about this because the rule book says it is an illegal pitch and ddb. I was informed by Sergio that this came out of the UIC clinic and the reasoning is that the speed of the pitch creates a dangerous situation.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
At a clinic yesterday, I learned that when the umpire judges a pitch (sp) to have excessive speed, the umpire is to declare a dead ball immediately. I wondered about this because the rule book says it is an illegal pitch and ddb. I was informed by Sergio that this came out of the UIC clinic and the reasoning is that the speed of the pitch creates a dangerous situation.
I don't remember hearing that, though I wouldn't doubt that someone would say this.

However, I believe it is wrong. I am not going to tell a player that the ball they just hit 325' doesn't count because the pitch was too fast. Also, I don't believe there is anything in the rules to support such a ruling.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Huh?

I don't remember hearing that either. The "penalty" for excessive speed on a pitch is simply an illegal pitch with a warning to the pitcher...any subsequent violations would result in the pitcher being removed from the pitching position.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't remember hearing that, though I wouldn't doubt that someone would say this.

However, I believe it is wrong. I am not going to tell a player that the ball they just hit 325' doesn't count because the pitch was too fast. Also, I don't believe there is anything in the rules to support such a ruling.
I second this interpretation. I'm not going to kill the play unless I either have:
A) a rule to back me up or
B) a condition that would justify it or
C) a rule to back me up

When in doubt, always go with C.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Shoot,

I hope someone clears it up, cause it came from the Central Atlantic Region UIC. He kept saying it.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Shoot,

I hope someone clears it up, cause it came from the Central Atlantic Region UIC. He kept saying it.
If that's the case, that's very surprising, considering he's an SP guy (like myself).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Is it possible that he meant "suspend play immediately after the pitch is done, and then warn the pitcher?" Possibly emphasizing that the umpire should nip it in the bud? Or was he adamant that the play must be killed right away?

If the pitcher is truly pitching with enough excessive speed that it becomes a safety issue, the likelihood that the umpire would even be able to kill it before the pitch arrives is pretty small.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 10:16am.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have very little experience, but I find it hard to pitcure how a ball with an arc have enough speed to be dangerous.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Is it possible that he meant "suspend play immediately after the pitch is done, and then warn the pitcher?" Possibly emphasizing that the umpire should nip it in the bud? Or was he adamant that the play must be killed right away?

If the umpire is truly pitching with enough excessive speed that it becomes a safety issue, the likelihood that the umpire would even be able to kill it before the pitch arrives is pretty small.
He said dead ball, immediate. I was going to ask him about it but a guy at the table who went to the UIC clinic said it came that was the new interpretation from Oklahoma.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I have very little experience, but I find it hard to pitcure how a ball with an arc have enough speed to be dangerous.
That's just it. Every now and then, you get a pitcher who tries to be cute and throws a pitch like they're playing MP, not SP. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

That usually gets a VERY quick and harsh reaction from me. I don't have a face mask on, and I'm pretty sure the catcher has no clue it's coming. VERY dangerous.

Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He said dead ball, immediate. I was going to ask him about it but a guy at the table who went to the UIC clinic said it came that was the new interpretation from Oklahoma.
Don't buy it. Not only is there nothing to support such an interpretation anywhere, it makes no sense.

Oh, BTW, the reasoning (dangerous) is absolutely absurd since killing the ball is NOT going to stop it's flight or alleviate any perceived danger.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 11:04pm.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post

If the umpire is truly pitching with enough excessive speed that it becomes a safety issue, the likelihood that the umpire would even be able to kill it before the pitch arrives is pretty small.

If the umpire is pitching, then we issues other than excessive speed.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
If the umpire is pitching, then we issues other than excessive speed.
I know not of what you speak.

Hey, I used to pitch, once upon a time!

Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Okay. Straight from me.

Yes, I did say that it is a Dead Ball. But I said that ONLY AFTER hearing it from our Regional UIC (at the same clinic ron was at). And believe me, I was also surprised since I know that the rule book says it is a warning to the pitcher and a ball to the batter. And there is no mention anywhere about killing it right away. And yes, the question was repeatedly asked of him and he kept saying that it is an immediate dead ball. And no, I do not remember hearing at the National UIC Clinic that it is an immediate dead ball. Like I said, this past Saturday was the first time I heard this. As a matter of fact, when someone asked me about it, I told them that I had never killed it immediately. I had always called it a delayed dead ball and would use the word ILLEGAL.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled session.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

More than 30 years ago, when I was playing, an umpire called my pitcher for excessive speed. When my pitcher argued that the arc was proper, the ump replied, "Yes it is. But within the arc, the ball is moving too fast."