The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I think we're all in agreement that according to the book, the ball is not dead, the IP is called, and the warning is given to the pitcher as per 6-3-G.

So let's take a step back here and talk more generally. If you're at a clinic and the clinician says something that is clearly inconsistent with what's spelled out in the rule book, what do you do? Correct them? And to what end?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I beleive someone misunderstood what was said. I know in our session it was said that excessive speed was dangerous and someone was going to get hurt you needed to put a stop to that right away. I could see that being heard as make it a dead ball immediantly but that is NOT what was said, at least not in my group.

To NCASAUMP's question, that is a hard issue to handle. I think it depends on who the presenter is to how you would handle it gracefully. When you know they are wrong and they are spreading the incorrect ruling how do you politically correctly get the correct interpretation spread?? I don't have the answer there but I know what I do is at the first break I have my book and ask them to explain what I am missing because they stated "XYZ" and when I read the rule is says "ABC" help me understand what I'm missing. This works for people that aren't as approachable or I don't know that well makes me look like I am trying to learn and understand instead of telling them they are wrong! Has worked well in the past, has also still made people mad, but usually it leads to a restatement or clarification after the break!

I am interested in how others have had success dealing with this type of issue in the past, I will stay tuned
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

There was a mispeak about excessive speed being a dead ball immediately. I spoke with the person in question using Dave's language.

Thanks, Ron
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
There was a mispeak about excessive speed being a dead ball immediately. I spoke with the person in question using Dave's language.

Thanks, Ron
Thanks for the followup, Ron!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
Call Time after the Play has ended. In the meantime call "Illegal" and award a Ball, or let the play continue if the ball was batted.
After time has been called warn the pitcher for excessive.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukumpire View Post
Call Time after the Play has ended. In the meantime call "Illegal" and award a Ball, or let the play continue if the ball was batted.
After time has been called warn the pitcher for excessive.
Agreed.

Spencer, where ya been??

Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Agreed.

Spencer, where ya been??
You know I do not really know!!
Got into a bit of coaching with our international Schools, now head coach at Marymount International School.
Given up slowpitch umpiring as of this season, and concentrating on trying to get GB umpires for our growing fastpitch league/s
Got the New London Cup tournament coming up May 27th - 30th

You shall see/ hear more from me this season!