The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this at an ASA tourney (14A) this weekend. Glad I wasn't the UIC because I don't know the answer.

Bases loaded, two outs, third strike gets away from F2, BUT Blue hollers - "Batter's out!" Runners don't try to advance, BR simply goes to the bench, all fielders leave the field. NO ONE questioned what had just happened. Everyone(including Blue and his partner)goes brain dead.

I spent an hour looking through the casebook & rule book but found nothing related. SO - what should happen (if anything)if the offense had immediately appealled blue's mistake?

Gary

Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

The umpire simply changes his call, and places the runners where they would have been, in his judgment, had he not placed them in jeopardy (i.e. declared the BR out).

If the ball was dribbling around home, the umpire could judge the issue was moot, since the catcher would have (in his judgment) stepped on home for the force.

If the ball was rolling down the 1st base line, the umpire may judge the BR would have beat the throw, and one run would have scored.

I don't have my rule book with me today, but the rule is in Rule 10. (10-6-C if memory serves.)
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
The umpire simply changes his call, and places the runners where they would have been, in his judgment, had he not placed them in jeopardy (i.e. declared the BR out).

If the ball was dribbling around home, the umpire could judge the issue was moot, since the catcher would have (in his judgment) stepped on home for the force.

If the ball was rolling down the 1st base line, the umpire may judge the BR would have beat the throw, and one run would have scored.

I don't have my rule book with me today, but the rule is in Rule 10. (10-6-C if memory serves.)
But could not the defense equally argue that the umpire's call relieved them of any sense of urgency?

Unless everyone reacts in a manner which seems EVERYONE ignored the call, I think this is one the blue just has to eat and take some heat over. If play just continued, you allow the result of the play and possibly take a little heat from the other side.

Just an opinion,

Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
But could not the defense equally argue that the umpire's call relieved them of any sense of urgency?

Unless everyone reacts in a manner which seems EVERYONE ignored the call, I think this is one the blue just has to eat and take some heat over. If play just continued, you allow the result of the play and possibly take a little heat from the other side.

Just an opinion,
I like your thinking, here, Mike, kinda like the situation of a fair ball incorrectly called foul. Can't unring the bell and all that.

If I was going to apply 10-6-C in this situation, it would be a sticky one, for sure, - I'd have to judge what both the offense and the defense would have done had I not caused them to relax.

But wouldn't it be better to apply the rule correctly as best as can be determined?
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

This is why an umpire should not holler "Batter's out". The only time is when the batter takes off on a missed third strike with 1B occupied, and less than two outs.

Bob
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Red face I will agree with Mike.....

The batter is now out....A coach is mad....And you will have to take some heat.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

OK, let's suppose the offense DOES notice the bad call, and lodges an official protest.

Is this a protestable call? (I think so - misapplication of a rule - the batter was not out; it was not a judgment call.)

So, if the protest is upheld, then game resumes later.

What happens? Does the batter get a "do over" or does the umpire then have to try to figure out how the play would have continued? Isn't it better to try to figure that out on the spot?

Making a bad fair/foul call is not protestable. This would seem to me to be protestable.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
OK, let's suppose the offense DOES notice the bad call, and lodges an official protest.

Is this a protestable call? (I think so - misapplication of a rule - the batter was not out; it was not a judgment call.)

So, if the protest is upheld, then game resumes later.

What happens? Does the batter get a "do over" or does the umpire then have to try to figure out how the play would have continued? Isn't it better to try to figure that out on the spot?

Making a bad fair/foul call is not protestable. This would seem to me to be protestable.
As the umpire, having realized my mistake, I would simply explain the error to the coach and tell him/her if they want to file a protest, please do so.

If you want to get to brass tacks, the former batter is out for entering DBT and the defense has lost any possible appeal when the infielders, including the battery leave fair play (leaving the position for the dugout without heading toward an umpire would satisfy this caveat for me).

I agree that an umpire's call should only be "strike three" in whatever style that umpire uses. The term "batter's out" is just as relevent as the term "ball game" or "games over". They really carry no weight when relating to the rules.

During a protest, the argument would probably be made the regardless of the umpire saying "batter's out", the teams should have been aware of the situation and continued with the play. If you want a comparative situation, this is the same reasoning given for not ruling a interference when a batter not permitted runs to first after a dropped third strike with 1B occupied and less than two outs.