The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Now Flake ASA Softball happenings...

Just wrapped up another fun-filled season of ASA Snow Flake softball and had some quite the interesting occurrences. Can some of you folks please comment on these rulings or lack thereof?

ASA - 6-10' arc: (1) Pitcher 1st presents ball and then 'slowly' and I do mean slowly brings his arm back and follows thru (without any hesitation) and makes the pitch. RULING: Legal since the motion was continuous even thought it was slow. Players also thought that each pitch must contain the 'same' consistent cadence/motion for a consistency pace. I did not see the 'consistent' mention in the ASA rules, so thought this was also legal. (2) Same pitcher at one point during a pitch, dropped his glove during the delivery. I assumed that this was a legal pitch if this was construed as 'un-intentional'. However, once a 2nd occurrence occurred, it could be construed as 'intentional' and ruled as an illegal pitch?

OBS: R1 on 3rd when B/R hits a ground ball to 2nd. F4 throws to F5 who now has R1 off of 3rd in a run-down. As the ball is thrown to each of the fielders to catch R1, F6 is in the base-path of R1 (yet no contact) which makes R1 veer to the right and R1 is then tagged out by F6 on the way back to 3rd base. RULING: Call OBS on F6 and award R1 3rd base since this was where R1 was headed?

Comments and rule references are welcome.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I'm think'n ur good on both calls. Nothing in rules says anything about speed of pitching motion that I've ever heard of..............but, can it be construed as "deception"? Some would say so I'm sure.

Glove falling off......let it go first time but second time it's illegal.....

When rundowns are taught to players the defense stays to the outside so they don't hit the runner with the ball when throwing it back and forth. If "ball-less" defense got in way of runner trying get to base...........obstruction, pure and simple.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd41flpk View Post
Just wrapped up another fun-filled season of ASA Snow Flake softball and had some quite the interesting occurrences. Can some of you folks please comment on these rulings or lack thereof?

ASA - 6-10' arc: (1) Pitcher 1st presents ball and then 'slowly' and I do mean slowly brings his arm back and follows thru (without any hesitation) and makes the pitch. RULING: Legal since the motion was continuous even thought it was slow. Players also thought that each pitch must contain the 'same' consistent cadence/motion for a consistency pace. I did not see the 'consistent' mention in the ASA rules, so thought this was also legal. (2) Same pitcher at one point during a pitch, dropped his glove during the delivery. I assumed that this was a legal pitch if this was construed as 'un-intentional'. However, once a 2nd occurrence occurred, it could be construed as 'intentional' and ruled as an illegal pitch?

OBS: R1 on 3rd when B/R hits a ground ball to 2nd. F4 throws to F5 who now has R1 off of 3rd in a run-down. As the ball is thrown to each of the fielders to catch R1, F6 is in the base-path of R1 (yet no contact) which makes R1 veer to the right and R1 is then tagged out by F6 on the way back to 3rd base. RULING: Call OBS on F6 and award R1 3rd base since this was where R1 was headed?

Comments and rule references are welcome.
I'm with you on all rulings except the one regarding the pitcher dropping his/her glove. I don't know if I would consider the simple act of dropping one's glove to be an intentional act that is meant to distract the batter. Unsafe? Certainly. Distracting? Maybe. I'm on the fence here. Depends on how they did it, and I'd probably have to see it. I don't think I'd call it unless it was quite clearly meant to distract the batter, as the penalty for that rule is quite severe: ejection!

In other words, I'd want to be damn certain that that was his intent.

Otherwise, these rulings were all correct.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
I'm think'n ur good on both calls. Nothing in rules says anything about speed of pitching motion that I've ever heard of..............but, can it be construed as "deception"? Some would say so I'm sure.
And what, pray tell, is the rule regarding deception?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Not because of where R1 was headed, but the base R1 would have obtained with no obstruction, ITUJ of course. Apparently no difference in this case, but for other cases and quoting the rule.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

The penalty for "deception" is

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
And what, pray tell, is the rule regarding deception?
treble damages isn't it?
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
treble damages isn't it?
5 yard penalty, still second down.

Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you ruled the dropping of the glove was a deliberate act of unsportsmanlike conduct, it could be called in IP. However, if you do, you must then eject the pitcher.

Quote:
That would make sense if that is the base R1 would have reached safely had there been no OBS.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Crew - thanks much for the responses and valdiation of the rules. Especially around the OBS description that describes what base R1 would be awarded 'if the OBS did not occur'.

Can anyone please point out the rule for the IP call for the dropped glove which would result in an 'ejection'?
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Crew - thanks much for the responses and valdiation of the rules. Especially around the OBS description that describes what base R1 would be awarded 'if the OBS did not occur'.

Can anyone please point out the rule for the IP call for the dropped glove which would result in an 'ejection'?
Certainly. It's ASA 6-4-B.
Quote:
A fielder shall not take a position in the batter's line of vision or, with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, act in a manner to distract the batter. A pitch does not have to be released.
EFFECT: The offending player shall be ejected from the game.

Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Deception = distraction = IP or unsportsmanlike
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you're saying it's illegal to slowly pitch a ball... in slow pitch?

Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And you wonder why people complain about umpires.

"Deception" has absolutely NOTHING to do with this rule. Then again, there is no deception involved. What's the pitcher doing, deceiving the batter by putting the glove where he thinks the ball is going?
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Huh? Can't find that in my book.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon guys! Dropping glove 1st time = warning. Don't do it again. Maybe call IP because of distraction/deception attempt. Dropping glove 2nd time after warning............gone!!!