Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
New SUIP Leader

NCAA NAMES DONNA VAVRINEC SOFTBALL
NATIONAL COORDINATOR OF UMPIRES

INDIANAPOLIS—Donna Vavrinec has been named the NCAA’s softball national coordinator of umpires and will serve as the primary administrator of the Softball Umpire Improvement Program.
“Donna’s wealth of experience and knowledge will ensure the Softball Umpire Improvement Program continues its strong tradition of training and educating umpires for the collegiate game,” said Scott Farmer, chair of the NCAA Division I Softball Committee and senior associate athletics director at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
Vavrinec has umpired at every level of the NCAA softball postseason since 1985, including 14 national championships in all three NCAA divisions. In addition, she is an experienced softball clinician, assignor, and evaluator who has served as the Umpire in Chief for several Division II and Division III softball national championships and was a member of the SUIP National Observation Team.
“I am looking forward to the opportunity to contribute back to the great sport of softball in this role and to collaborate with the umpires, coordinators and coaches in fostering a culture of excellence and respect,” Vavrinec said. “I also look forward to learning and working with the committees and the NCAA staff to continue to move the game forward and enhance the student-athlete experience.”
Vavrinec’s commitment to education is reflected in her 35 years as a physical science educator with the Norwalk (Connecticut) Board of Education. The recent retiree from Norwalk High School is a graduate from Plymouth State College with a degree in social science and conducted post-graduate work at Southern Connecticut State University and the University of New England.

I have known Donna for several years now and have had the luxury of working with, and learning from, her several times. I personally think she will do very well as the next SUIP Leader. Congratulations Donna.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Although I have never worked with Donna, I have had the honor and pleasure of being at a college umpire camp with her as one of the instructors. She also was one of the observers at another observation camp I attended. And like Wade stated, I definitely learned a lot from her! I too think she will be a very good leader for the SUIP. Am looking forward to the upcoming season with her in the helm. Congratulations Donna!

Serg
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I just cannot believe that they didn't hire me for that spot!!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Sergio and Wade,

Would you mind sharing some of the things you learned?

Thanks, Ron