The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question a defensive and offensive charged conference question

NFHS rules. The rule book says the definition of a charged conference is "when a coach or dugout/bench personnel requests and is granted a time-out to meet with offensive or defensive personnel"

I had a situation yesterday where the ball got fouled back to the backstop. The catcher went back to retrieve it and the head coach game out of the dugout to talk to her before she threw the ball back to the pitcher. I charged her with a defensive conference but by rule think maybe I botched that one since she never requested nor was granted time. How can I justify I made the right ruling?

Another situation was the catcher requested time for me to go talk to her pitcher. Infielders gathered around but no coach came out. Offensive coach came out to talk to his batter. I charged him with a offensive charged conference. I know it wouldn't have been one if the defense had a charged conference going on but it wasn't a charged conference for the defense. I think maybe I biffed that one too. Am I right that I got that one wrong? Dave
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
NFHS rules. The rule book says the definition of a charged conference is "when a coach or dugout/bench personnel requests and is granted a time-out to meet with offensive or defensive personnel"

I had a situation yesterday where the ball got fouled back to the backstop. The catcher went back to retrieve it and the head coach game out of the dugout to talk to her before she threw the ball back to the pitcher. I charged her with a defensive conference but by rule think maybe I botched that one since she never requested nor was granted time. How can I justify I made the right ruling?

Another situation was the catcher requested time for me to go talk to her pitcher. Infielders gathered around but no coach came out. Offensive coach came out to talk to his batter. I charged him with a offensive charged conference. I know it wouldn't have been one if the defense had a charged conference going on but it wasn't a charged conference for the defense. I think maybe I biffed that one too. Am I right that I got that one wrong? Dave
The point of limiting conferences is to avoid delay in the game. If neither causes an inordinate delay, I'm not really worried about it. However, if one side and the umpire is ready to continue play and the other is still "conferencing", then I would assess the charged conference. The only thing though is that for a charged conference, a coach or dugout personnel must be involved in the communication.

IOW, a battery meeting is nothing unless a coach is involved. Also, I wouldn't get too hung-up on the term "coach". Just look at it as any personnel not in the line-up, is a coach.

Well, at least that is the way I look at it.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post

IMO, the first one depends on the situation, level of play, etc....although I seriously doubt I would have charged a conference for that. The second one is definitely not a conference in my opinion - since the fielders were already talking, the coach was simply using the time that was there. the book does not specifically address this - only charged conferences, but this is where I think common sense would prevail. Either way, I certainly would be out to break up the little chat session in the circle pretty quick anyways....
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

While I can not fine a specifice ruling under FED, ASA rules supplement 9 indicates that if a defensive player approaches the dugout and receives instruction, this is considered a defensive conference. While the player may not have approached the dugout, the coach did enter the field, and regardless of if they asked and or were granted time, they talked with the catcher. I would have considered this a charged conference.

Last edited by RKBUmp; Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 04:55pm.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
While I can not fine a specifice ruling under FED, ASA rules supplement 9 indicates that if a defensive player approaches the dugout and receives instruction, this is considered a defensive conference.
Close. There must be a requested suspension of play. Just approaching the dugout does not constitute a charged conference. This rule was changed a while back because the rule used to note the coach entering the field. Some "smart" coaches who actually read the rule book, figured out that if the players came to them, the definition fo "charged" conference didn't apply.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
the book does not specifically address this
Yeah, it does.

"when a coach or dugout/bench personnel requests and is granted a time-out to meet with offensive or defensive personnel"

Did the offensive coach request time to talk with his batter? Nope. The catcher did. Not a conference assuming they break it up when the defense breaks theirs.

West Houston Mike