The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Okay, strange question but... I can't seem to find in the rules that she can't, but it may be there. My pitcher has a broken thumb and a cast on her right arm. She, ironically, bats, throws, and catches better with it... Can I play her?
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Yes, as long as it is sufficiently wrapped / padded so as it is not judged to be a safety hazard for the other players. This will be the umpire's judgment.
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think she may pitch if she has anything on her hand making contact with the ball. She maynot even make contact with the ball with a bandaid on her pitching hand!!!

Roger Greene
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

No, I was just thinking of courtesy runner, actually. I don't need her to pitch, I have two others. I really just wanted to throw her a bone because she is so depressed about it.
Thanks,
DeeDee
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
I don't think she may pitch if she has anything on her hand making contact with the ball. She maynot even make contact with the ball with a bandaid on her pitching hand!!!

Roger Greene
Roger,

No such rule in ASA. The only requirements is that the pitcher may not wear a batting glove on their pitching hand and that any wraps/bandages, etc. may not be of a distractive nature to the batter.

Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Mike,
Fed doesn't allow any contact with tape or foreign substances on the ball by pitcher. I'm pretty sure Pony is same, Can't recall USSSA at this time and am away from my books, but I don't think I'd allow it anyway. I'd use Rule 9-whatever it is for USSSA, as it would be too open for abuse.

Roger Greene
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
Mike,
Fed doesn't allow any contact with tape or foreign substances on the ball by pitcher. I'm pretty sure Pony is same, Can't recall USSSA at this time and am away from my books, but I don't think I'd allow it anyway. I'd use Rule 9-whatever it is for USSSA, as it would be too open for abuse.

Roger Greene
Roger,

Just making a statement. ASA has changed this rule a couple of times over the past few years. Reason: to not disqualify a player from pitching simply because they have a cut or other need for some type of bandage for medical reasons. The umpire still has the option of disallowing
this if it is a distraction to the batter.
Thanks,