The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

In game in which home runs don't have to be run out, POE #24 says, "When a home run is hit out of the ball park, the batter and all base runners can go directly to the dugout. No appeals can be made for runners missing a base."

I've done some tournaments in which players think that the batter has to touch 1B. However, I've always told them they don't have to, and everyone seems to like that.

But can a runner who misses a base while the ball is still in the air be called out on appeal? Should a runner who passes another runner before the ball becomes a home run be called out?

Ordinarily, I would think the answer would be no, but one of those guys whose picture is in the ASA case book told me, as least with regard to passing a runner, it would be an out because the ball is still live until it hits over the fence.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

This class of softball is not my game, but since the board has been silent for so long, I'll reply anyway.

On the missed base question, the defense must appeal. Since they cannot get their hands on the ball for a live ball appeal, they must use a dead ball appeal. Once the ball goes over the fence, there is no longer any requirements for the runners to touch, so no appeal would be recognized. (IMO).

On one runner passing another, technically, he would be out, but I am visualizing one runner stopped watching the ball sail out, while another is jogging around the bases, also watching the ball, and they happen to pass. Calling this OUT would be over-officiating, IMO. It was a simple base running error in a situation where both runners would have a reasonable expectation that their base running responsibilities would not apply. The defense has no play. I wouldn't call it.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
In game in which home runs don't have to be run out, POE #24 says, "When a home run is hit out of the ball park, the batter and all base runners can go directly to the dugout. No appeals can be made for runners missing a base."

I've done some tournaments in which players think that the batter has to touch 1B. However, I've always told them they don't have to, and everyone seems to like that.

But can a runner who misses a base while the ball is still in the air be called out on appeal? Should a runner who passes another runner before the ball becomes a home run be called out?

Ordinarily, I would think the answer would be no, but one of those guys whose picture is in the ASA case book told me, as least with regard to passing a runner, it would be an out because the ball is still live until it hits over the fence.
So if a runner misses a base or passes another runner on an out-of-play foul ball can be called out as long as it happens while the ball is in the air? Talk about looking for boogers.

The rule book specifically states that when a fair batted ball is hit over the fence for a home run or a four-base award, the batter and all runners are credited with a score. This eliminates any runner appeal play.

As far as passing on a HR, if a runner can cover that distance prior to the ball leaving the field of play, that ball would have to be a quarter-mile high.

Good luck selling that one.

Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

The foul ball is not a question. Whoever passed whomever while the ball was still in the air is not relevant. As with an infield fly that goes foul, everything is off. (I assume! Runner passes another runner while an infield fly is in the air—out—then it goes foul . . . )

But with a home run, everything is still on. As I said, if one of the ASA bigwigs hadn't told me that, I wouldn't have asked.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
The foul ball is not a question. Whoever passed whomever while the ball was still in the air is not relevant. As with an infield fly that goes foul, everything is off. (I assume! Runner passes another runner while an infield fly is in the air—out—then it goes foul . . . )

But with a home run, everything is still on. As I said, if one of the ASA bigwigs hadn't told me that, I wouldn't have asked.
Sorry, but "everything" is not still on. There are no base running appeals allowed on a HR or 4base award at the A level and above by rule. There is no interpretation differences there.

As far as passing a runner in this circumstance at this level, if you call it (though I still believe it cannot happen), I believe you will have a nice conversation with the UIC.