The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

I think I missed one

I umpired a Fall Ball game last Saturday and there was a quick pop-up that probably went no more than fifteen feet up in the air and to the left of the pitchers mound. There was one out and there were runners on first and second with one out. The pitcher bobbled the ball and then the bases were loaded. The coach of the defensive team came out of the dugout pissed off that I didn't call the infield fly. He actually yelled why isn't that an infield fly in a demanding way. If he had called time and then asked me why I didn't call it I would have gotten both coaches together and then maybe would have called it. I asked the offensive coach between innings how far he thought it went in the air and he said no more than twelve feet. Its the first time that I have been called out on not calling and infield fly since I started umping two years ago. Generally on an infield fly the ball would go alot higher in the air that way you have plenty of time to call it and you see all of your surroundings better to do with runners on base even though I know your suppose to know that before the pitch. Do you think sometimes on such a quick pop-up that doesn't go that high that it always has to be an infield fly.
It all happend so fast I really didn't have much reaction time, I guess live and learn on this one. Could anyone give me some input on this one.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Ump View Post
I umpired a Fall Ball game last Saturday and there was a quick pop-up that probably went no more than fifteen feet up in the air and to the left of the pitchers mound. There was one out and there were runners on first and second with one out. The pitcher bobbled the ball and then the bases were loaded. The coach of the defensive team came out of the dugout pissed off that I didn't call the infield fly. He actually yelled why isn't that an infield fly in a demanding way. If he had called time and then asked me why I didn't call it I would have gotten both coaches together and then maybe would have called it. I asked the offensive coach between innings how far he thought it went in the air and he said no more than twelve feet. Its the first time that I have been called out on not calling and infield fly since I started umping two years ago. Generally on an infield fly the ball would go alot higher in the air that way you have plenty of time to call it and you see all of your surroundings better to do with runners on base even though I know your suppose to know that before the pitch. Do you think sometimes on such a quick pop-up that doesn't go that high that it always has to be an infield fly.
It all happend so fast I really didn't have much reaction time, I guess live and learn on this one. Could anyone give me some input on this one.
The height (other than it cannot be a line drive) and the pitcher's handling of the ball is irrelevant.

You call it as soon as you can. If not calling it places any of the runners in jeopardy, you should enforce the rule after the fact even if you didn't call it.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The height (other than it cannot be a line drive)
Height goes to ordinary effort. Wouldn't you agree that a 12' pop not hit directly at a fielder will typically not qualify for ordinary effort?

Of course it's a HTBT, but...
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Ump View Post
He actually yelled why isn't that an infield fly in a demanding way. If he had called time and then asked me why I didn't call it I would have gotten both coaches together and then maybe would have called it.
Two awful things here. First and foremost - the demeanor of the coach should never ever play a role in your decision making (other than the decision to announce his ejection, I suppose). Second - you don't ask for coach input and then make a call.

If YOU thought this was an infield fly (and only you can decide this, we weren't there) and failed to call it, then fix it after the fact. If YOU did not, tell the coach it was not easily caught with normal effort, as the rule requires.

To me, it seems likely that a ball 12-15 feet and not directly at the pitcher could easily be judged to be not easily caught with normal effort. The fact that she didn't catch it shouldn't affect your judgement, but it may have validated that judgement.

Remember, the rule is there to protect the OFFENSE from the defense getting an easy double play. Not to protect the defense from having to play defense.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
Height goes to ordinary effort. Wouldn't you agree that a 12' pop not hit directly at a fielder will typically not qualify for ordinary effort?

Of course it's a HTBT, but...
Nope. Absolutely nothing to do with the rule and wouldn't even consider mentioning the height. That is just as ridiculous as saying a player cannot block the base without the ball when doing so has zero to do with an obstruction call.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Nope. Absolutely nothing to do with the rule and wouldn't even consider mentioning the height. That is just as ridiculous as saying a player cannot block the base without the ball when doing so has zero to do with an obstruction call.
I agree that in practice, and in front of the coach, no mention of the height of the ball should be made.

However, here, on the board, when you're trying to get your audience to "see" the play for themselves, it is relevant.

To the coach, simply use the terminology that is actually in the rule.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
However, here, on the board, when you're trying to get your audience to "see" the play for themselves, it is relevant.
Not unless the audience can also "see" the position of the fielders, have observed their abilities and, if need be, relative reaction to the ball being hit. Even then is can be confusing since the ONLY relevance to a batter ball in an IF situation is whether the infielder, pitcher or catcher can fielder that ball with ordinary effort.