The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question delaying the game?

NFHS game. Nobody on base. Count was 3-1 but batter and catcher think it is 2-2. Pitch comes in for a strike. Catcher throws around the horn. Batter starts to walk off like she struck out. Offensive coach wants delay of game and ball 4 on his batter. It was late in the game and a 1-0 score, not that this should have any bearing on the ruling. What do you rule. I was an observer not an umpire on this play. Dave
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

if coach call you on it you dont have much choice - ball 4

good reason to always give the count when you hit ball 3 or strike 2
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

But, should the coach have to call you on it for you to enforce it? Dave
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
NFHS game. Nobody on base. Count was 3-1 but batter and catcher think it is 2-2. Pitch comes in for a strike. Catcher throws around the horn. Batter starts to walk off like she struck out.
A little strange both had the wrong count. What was the pitch that took it to 3-1?

Quote:
Offensive coach wants delay of game and ball 4 on his batter. It was late in the game and a 1-0 score, not that this should have any bearing on the ruling. What do you rule. I was an observer not an umpire on this play. Dave
Sorry, coach, but they had the right count. You must have misinterpreted one of my calls
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

If I remember correctly it was a little below the knees. I have definitely seen this pitch called both ways. PU called it a ball but both batter and catcher believed it was a strike. Dave
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Reading the description of the sitch in the OP, I'm assuming that the pitch for what was strike two was a called strike?

If so, wouldn't there be a slightly decernible difference in the PU's voice and mechanics on a called strike three vs. a called strike two?
I would think that he'd have a little more "sell" on a called strike three that would kind of make at at least the batter and catcher aware that there's an out as opposed to how he'd communicate verbally and visually on a called strike one or two.

Last edited by KJUmp; Wed Sep 01, 2010 at 07:37pm.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I remember correctly it was a little below the knees. I have definitely seen this pitch called both ways. PU called it a ball but both batter and catcher believed it was a strike. Dave
OP states: "Count was 3-1, and batter and catcher think it's 2-2. The pitch came in for a strike."
Now you're saying "PU called it a ball."
My question, was the correct count now 3-2, or ball four?
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
OP states: "Count was 3-1, and batter and catcher think it's 2-2. The pitch came in for a strike."
Now you're saying "PU called it a ball."
My question, was the correct count now 3-2, or ball four?
I think you are reading the thread incorrectly. It was 2-1 and the pitch was called a ball (for 3-1), but the players thought it was a strike (which made them believe it was 2-2)
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I think you are reading the thread incorrectly. It was 2-1 and the pitch was called a ball (for 3-1), but the players thought it was a strike (which made them believe it was 2-2)
Got it. Thanks Irish.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, you have the description absolutely right. When it was 2-1 and the pitch came in, that is when both the batter and catcher didn't know what it was. They did know that the next pitch was called a strike. Dave
Old Thu Sep 02, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But, should the coach have to call you on it for you to enforce it? Dave

no